Show of hands if your child loves Duplo and Mega Blocks? Whenever they are out, both my kids can spend almost hours playing with them. Ever wondered how to use them to review a concept? Ever thought of teaching your child counting by 2 with blocks? Trust me, it’s not as difficult as it sounds. We have even taught consonant blends with these blocks!
It is ridiculously easy to put together and is a very hands-on way to practice skip counting. The best part is that you probably have everything you really need at home.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR THE MINI-PACK OF GAMES FOR KIDS:
- Dry erase marker (the darker the better)
- Duplo or Mega Blocks
- Number tiles (optional)
Counting By 2 With Blocks
To Prep: Grab the black dry erase marker as well as the blocks and place on a flat surface. If you also have number tiles, place those on the table as well.
- Start by reviewing counting by 2’s to 50. It helps to count with your child in the event that they may have forgotten a number.
- Let your child then take 1 block and label it ‘2’ with the dry erase marker.
- Every block that is stacked should increase by 2. For example:
If you have your number tiles handy, then you can match the tile to each group of blocks. See below for example. We grabbed a block that represented 4 and then matched it with a number 4 tile.
Tips for Counting By 2 With Blocks
- If you do not have a black dry erase marker, try and find the darkest colored marker. This allows your child to see the number they are writing on each block better.
- If you do not have Duplo or Mega Blocks, you can use Lego as well.
- If you run out of single blocks, which we did, simply split the double block by drawing a line down the center.
More Skip Counting Activities
- Frog Skip Counting Puzzles
- Frog Skip Counting Lily Pad Game
- Farm Odd Numbers Skip Counting
- Skip Counting By 5’s Clip Cards