Get students sounding out CVCe word families with this fun spelling board game. Students will read and spell up to 175 CVCe words! A great way to get them reading! Great for a partner or small group center! This game is great for sounding out CVCe words.
Materials Needed for CVCe Words File Folder Game
Paper | File Folder | Laminating Pouch | Laminator | Small Plastic Bag
Instructions for the CVCe Words File Folder Game
To set up the game:
Print and laminate Pages 3-10.
I strongly recommend using card stock for the playing cards, so that students will not be able to see through them.
I love to print on the white side of one-sided scrapbook paper as this makes the cards opaque and attractive.
For 2-6 players
- Shuffle word cards and place them upside down on the card box of the playing board.
- Choose the first player.
- Player 1 places their marker on the rainbow start position. The player to the left of Player 1 draws a card from the pile and without showing it to Player 1, reads the word aloud. Player 1 must spell the word either aloud or by writing it out.
- If Player 1 spells the word correctly on the first try, he/she spins the spinner and moves ahead the number of spaces indicated. The game continues to the next player with the player to his/her left reading the word for the player to spell.
- If a player does not spell the word correctly on the first try, they remain on the same star without spinning the spinner. The game continues to the next player.
- The first person to reach the shooting star wins!
**When playing with only 2 players, the opposite player reads the card to the person spelling.
Ways to Differentiate the Game:
- Focus on beginning sounds instead of the entire word. You can have your students recall the letter that the word begins with rather than spell the whole word.
- Focus on end sounds. Have students recall the letter that the word ends with rather than spell the whole word.
- Only use one short vowel sound in the game. For example: only include words that have a medial “a” or “e”.