Today I would like to introduce you to a simple free printable number matching game which is made with upcycled yogurt caps. The caps are optional- you can also print the pages out and laminate them and just use as cut outs.
Materials needed for the free printable number matching game:
Transparent yogurt caps
Double sided tape
Cut outs of numbers and lady bugs (Page 1 and 2 of Printables) – you are welcome to laminate them to extend their life span
Four printouts with larger numbers and lady bugs (Pages 4 through 6)
How to play:
Since usually numbers are learned in an order of 1 through 5 and then 6 through 10, I placed them on 2 separate sheets.
1. Stick the cut outs of numbers and lady bugs on yogurt caps.
2. Review numbers in desired order. Placing them on the table as you call them, pointing and saying is one of the ways.
3. Count and tell how many lady bugs are in each circle on the yogurt caps.
4. Take print out of numbers 1 through 5 and call the numbers one by one. Ask the child to place the cap with appropriate number on top.
5. Take the print out with lady bugs and call the numbers one by one. Ask the child to place the cap with appropriate number digit on top.
Variation 1: place the cap with appropriate number of lady bugs on top of the number printouts.
Variation 2: place the cap with appropriate number on top of the lady bug printouts.
This matching game helps with the following skills:
1. Counting and basic math skills
2. Recognition of numbers in digits and objects
3. Eye-hand coordination
4. Fine motor skills
5. Organization skills
6. Listening and following the commands
You can use this game in a home setting or in a classroom setting. This game is inspired by the Montessori method of teaching numbers.
This game also works well for ESL students.
Download the free printable number matching game here:
Be sure to check out the other great activities in the 31 days of free printables for hands-on learning series!