Who loves LEGO®? We love LEGO®!! We place a big importance on self-directed learning and things like building blocks, always-available craft supplies and LEGO are a big part of that. So, we have lots of LEGO in our learning area. Today, I asked Jaida how she wanted to practice her addition facts (review, review, review!) and she wanted LEGO!! So, I created this free printable LEGO Addition Mat for greater than/less than, to not only help her with math facts, but challenge her to think deeper and recognize the relationships between different addition problems.
Materials needed for the LEGO Addition Mat for Greater Than/Less Than:
To prep: Print and laminate all the pages. Laminating the recording page is optional, but it will allow you to use it multiple times without printing extra copies. (These are our favorite go-to laminating pouches).
Cut apart the addition fact cards & the math symbols (greater than, less than, equal to).
Put the LEGO bricks in a small tray (so they don’t fall all over the place, of course.)
This book has a ton of other LEGO ideas too!
To use: Put the addition fact cards in a pile. Choose two and place them on the large rectangles of the LEGO addition mat.
Then have the student build each problem using the LEGO bricks. Using the bricks adds a bit of fine-motor practice to the activity which is important for developing good handwriting skills. And it’s much more fun than handwriting practice.
We found that it was helpful to do each number of the addition problem in a unique color, so that we could visualize the problem.
So, 2+3 was 2 red bricks and 3 orange bricks.
Then, after solving both problems, the kids can hold the “sums” hold by side to determine what was greater than, less than or equal to.
Jaida loved stacking the bricks a little crazy.
No reason not to add some fun to math!!
Then, have the student write their answers on the recording sheet. You could have them take some pictures with an iPad for easy assessment. My daughter loves taking pictures of things.
The #toolsforlearing team is sharing 20+ LEGO learning activities today!!! Check them out here and follow the #toolsforlearning hashtag on Instagram to see even more great ideas this week!!
Do you have a LEGO learning activity to share? Join the #toolsforlearning challenge as we select a new manipulative for learning every week!
- LEGO DUPLO Geoboard from Still Playing School
- DUPLO Consonant Blends Activity from Learning 2 Walk
- Educational Playtime with Duplo - Sorting, Estimating and Building from Crafty Mama in ME
- LEGO DUPLO Sight Word Towers from Mom Inspired Life
- Slippery LEGO DUPLO Fine Motor Practice from Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Penguin Ice Cube Counting With LEGO from Preschool Powol Packets
- Hands-on Science: Creating a Water Cycle Project using LEGO from Edventures with Kids
- LEGO Tower Subtraction Race from The Kindergarten Connection
- LEGO Heart Marble Maze from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Feed the DUPLO Alien from Adventures of Adam
- How To Create A DUPLO Block Painting from Raising Little Superheroes
- Letter Sequencing with LEGO DUPLO from School Time Snippets
- LEGO ordering, days of the week from In The Playroom
- Dental Flossing with DUPLO from Study at Home Mama
- LEGO Math Ten Frame Games from Lalymom
- Word Building with LEGO from Sugar Aunts
- Color Sorting LEGO DUPLO from Squiggles and Bubbles