Did you ever have an imaginary friend as a child? Was your friend a constant companion or did you create a new friend for every day of the week?
We’ve seen the whole spectrum at our house. When our oldest was 4 years old, she had a complete description of her husband-to-be. The details will be kept under lock & key…lol!
Creating these adorable characters with random craft supplies and recycled paper tubes turned out to be a wonderful learning activity! The Doll Toilet Paper Crafts for Kids activity is extremely versatile! It could be adapted to any theme your kids are into! And as an extra bonus, it gives you things to do with toilet paper rolls that would otherwise end up in the trash.
Benefits of Make-Believe Play
Whether my kids create a new friend every day or stick with a tried and true “bestie,” one thing is for sure. Those friends ALWAYS stick up for my girls. The virtual realities fight against each other defending the *rights* of each child, creating some very eye-opening conversations.
I mean, what would you say if *you* weren’t the one saying it…? Scary thought!
Make-believe play has lots of benefits for developing emotions and minds. If arts and crafts with toilet paper rolls promotes the skills listed below, I’m all for it!
- Express emotions, both positive and negative
- Allows kids to test boundaries
- Builds confidence
- Builds vocabulary
- Promotes creativity
- Encourages problem solving
If you don’t have an “inventor’s box,” you NEED to make one. Just take a week and stop throwing away all of the clean recyclables. Collect all the tiny bits of broken toys, pens, and household items. Think, “Tinkerbell and the Lost Things”!
While you don’t need to amass rooms full of trash, (I’m certainly not advocating for hoarder status…lol!) you can collect some very simple things and have a blast using them. Add in a few fun things like googly eyes, rhinestones, coffee filters and you have the makings of a new friend!
Other helpful items to include in an inventor’s box for craft ideas with toilet paper rolls include glue, tape, yarn, spare Legos, string, paper clips, or buttons.
How to Make a Doll Out of Toilet Paper Rolls
- Recycled toilet paper tubes
- Scrap paper
- Cupcake liners or coffee filter
- Googly eyes
How to Make a Doll Using Toilet Paper Rolls:
- Consider how you will cover the base of your toilet paper roll doll. Use scrapbook paper remnants, wrapping paper, construction paper, or you could paint it also.
- Use googly eyes, small beads or buttons, and markers or paint to create a sweet face.
- Paper cupcake liners or coffee filters make a great sturdy base while providing a dress effect for girl dolls. You could get creative with hats or other clothing for boy dolls too.
- Use yarn or cut paper strips to attach some hair to the top of the toilet paper roll.
Consider the above steps as the basics. Preschool toilet paper roll crafts are limited only by the supplies you have on hand and the interest of your kids!
If you are not a “crafter,” no worries. Just set your children free with the inventor’s box, glue, scissors, empty toilet paper rolls, and craft supplies. Trust me, they will create something super cute, it doesn’t really matter what!
More Craft Ideas Using Empty Toilet Paper Rolls
When it comes to other things to make out of toilet paper rolls, the options are endless. Whether your kids are into Star Wars, Legos, dolls, or action figures, a fun craft project awaits within that tp roll! If you need a little inspiration:
- Create a coiling body by cutting around the tube in a spiral
- Mini pinatas are fun birthday party favors. Stuff with…candy? small toys? gems?
- Toilet roll owls
- Create a bird feeder with a cardboard roll spread with peanut butter and rolled in seed
- Angels are a great toilet paper roll Christmas idea
I hope this inspires you to create something fun and easy your kids will love! Let me know what your family created with toilet paper tubes!