Build phonetic awareness with this CVC card game. Focused on medial vowel sounds, this Slap-Jack style game will help students learn to recognize vowel sounds through pictures and reading CVC words which will build stronger readers and spellers.
This is a modified form of the old favorite “Slap Jack.” The difference is that there is a center pile in addition to the player piles. The card turned over in the center pile indicates what card you are looking to slap. Once you slap the coordinating card, you turn a new card and begin to search for a new card to slap.
Three card formats included:
- Pictures (8 cards for each vowel)
- CVC words (8 cards for each vowel)
- Vowel sound
**A black & white version is included**
A reference card is included, so that students can easily determine which pictures match which vowels to eliminate confusion while playing.
Instructions for the CVC Card Game:
Choose one format of cards for CENTER pile. Use the other formats of cards for PLAYING cards. (More copies will create a longer game.)
To play this CVC card game: 2-4 players
- Place the CENTER cards face down in a pile.
- Deal the PLAYING cards equally among players and place them face down in a pile in front of each player.
- Decide the first player.
- Flip over one of the CENTER cards.
- In clockwise order, players flip one card at a time. When a PLAYING card is flipped that matches the CENTER card: SLAP-IT! (matches will be in many formats)
- The first player to slap the card takes the center pile of cards that have been played and adds them to the bottom of their own pile.
- Flip over another CENTER card and continue playing, this time matching the new card that has been flipped over.
- Game is finished when time is up or one player has all the PLAYING cards.
Ways to Differentiate:
- Choose any format of cards to be the CENTER pile, so that kids can get review on the portion that they struggle with the most. They can focus on formats that they are more familiar using. Variation:
- Start with only two formats until children are ready for the challenge of multiple formats. Simply make more copies of the format you want to use for the playing cards.
Great partner or small group center!! You can also use the picture and word cards as flash cards or for playing memory.
Get the CVC Card Game: Slap It!:
Our Favorite Short Vowel Word Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Thing on the Wing Can Sing: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Digraphs (Sounds Like Reading ®)The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug: A Short Vowel Sounds Book (Sounds Like Reading ®)Decodable Books Kindergarten Short Vowel Sounds: Decodable Readers Kindergarten CVC WordsStop, Drop, and Flop in the Slop: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Blends (Sounds Like Reading ®)Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers