Give students practice creating real and nonsense words in this fun partner or small group game. Students will compose CVC words by spinning beginning, middle and end letters. They will learn what words are real and what words are nonsense through play. Game boards, spinners and printable write & wipe boards (laminating required) are included, as well as assessment/recording sheets. Students will love this CVC Real and Nonsense Word Game!
Instructions for the Real and Nonsense Word Game:
- Give each player a write and wipe board.
- Select the first player. Place a marker on the “Start” space.
- The first player will spin all the spinners one at a time.
- Then, he will write the letters that have been spun in the color-matched spaces on the top level of his write and wipe board.
- Next, he will write the letters in order to create a word on the bottom level of his write and wipe board. -If a real word is created, the player moves forward 2 spaces.
- If a nonsense word is created, the player moves forward 1 space.
- The game continues to the next player.
- The winner is the first to make it onto the “End” space.
Example: Player spins: n, e, and t
This player will move ahead 2 spaces.
Player spins: r, e, and g -This player will move ahead 1 space.
As they play, students will record some of their CVC words on the included assessment sheets. Assessment sheets for 5 words and 10 words are included.
Get the Real and Nonsense Word Game:
Our Favorite CVC Word Books For Kids:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Thing on the Wing Can Sing: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Digraphs (Sounds Like Reading ®)The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug: A Short Vowel Sounds Book (Sounds Like Reading ®)Decodable Books Kindergarten Short Vowel Sounds: Decodable Readers Kindergarten CVC WordsStop, Drop, and Flop in the Slop: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Blends (Sounds Like Reading ®)Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers