So many apple theme preschool activities! I love that the beginning of the school year also signals the return of fun learning themes, starting with apples! We’ve done a lot of free printable apple activities, so this free Printable Shape Apple Matching Game for Fall is a perfect addition to our apple theme preschool lesson plans. Play while sipping some caramel apple cider, baking apple pie, or eating caramel apples on popsicle sticks. Or pair it with some fun apple painting. No matter what, I’m sure your kids will love this shape activity.
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!
Teaching 2D Shapes in Kindergarten
TEACHING SHAPES IN PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN
SHAPE IDENTIFICATION (2D AND 3D SHAPES) IS A KEY COMPONENT OF KINDERGARTEN CURRICULUM.
Shape activities for preschoolers and kindergarteners are best when they are hands-on and fun. Children will learn basic shapes with this fun game in no time!
I like to include 2D shapes worksheets, games, dramatic play, and activities in my lesson plans all year. Students are either still learning them, or enjoying a fun game to develop automaticity in naming them or to begin describing them.
I like to teach this apple matching game in small groups first. Then, it’s a great activity to keep at the math center for independent or partner play.
In addition to practicing shape names while graphing 2D shapes, students can begin to describe characteristics of shapes:
- Are the edges straight, curved, or both?
- How many sides?
- How many corners?
- Can you find objects in the room that are the same shape?
What Can Apple Math Activities For Preschool Teach?
kindergarten and preschool shapes
LEARNING SHAPES WITH AN APPLE PRESCHOOL THEME KEEPS STUDENTS ENGAGED.
The 2D shape matching game will draw the attention of your students. From there, you can take the learning into other apple themed activities, or other shape activities!
Apple activities in preschool can cover:
Why Is It Important For Kids To Learn About Shapes?
Children are naturally curious about everything around them. Learning about shapes is an important foundational skill in math.
How to Make The Apple Theme Shape Matching Game
To play Memory, turn over two cards at the same time. If they match, you get to keep them and turn over another set of shapes to try again.
If they don’t match, you turn them back over and it becomes the next person’s turn. Play continues until the cards have all been matched.
Mix It Up
Use the cards for differentiated independent matching activities for kids. Depending on the skill level of the student, they can match shape/shape, word/word, or shape/word.
Hide half the cards of one type in the sensory bin. Students must find a card first, then find it’s match or sort the cards onto shape mats according to characteristics.
Make a Collage
Create shape collages by finding as my shapes as possible in magazines and gluing them into an overlapping collage.
join the newsletter & Get your free activity
Get Your Free Printable Apple Shape Matching Game Here!
Already a subscriber? No worries. Just enter your email here to have the activity sent directly to your inbox.
More Activities You’ll Love:
- Letter Matching Apple Tree Activity // Mom Inspired Life
- Apple Lacing Fine Motor Bag // Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Kindergarten Math Activity: Apple Matching Game // Schooling a Monkey
- Bobbing for Apples Fine Motor Activity // Stir the Wonder
- Write and Wipe Math Cards | Bobbing for Apples // Science Kiddo
- Apple Life Cycle Printable Book // Stay at Home Educator
- Apple Number Match // A Dab of Glue Will Do
- Apple Life Cycle Hat // The STEM Laboratory
- Apple Addition Write and Wipe Cards // Playdough to Plato
- Johnny Appleseed Apple Coverall Games // Recipe for Teaching
- Apple Play Dough Surprise Activity // Play & Learn Every Day
- Apple Counting Book // Fun-A-Day
- Balancing Apples Up on Top // Sara J Creations
- Apple Alphabet Puzzles // The Letters of Literacy
- Apple Subitizing Cards // The Simplified Classroom
- Apple Tree Busy Box // Teach Me Mommy
- Apple Ten Frames // Still Playing School
- Tracing Letters Printable Apples // Modern Preschool
- Apple Color Matching Activity // Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails