Understanding shapes can be a complex skill for a child to learn. Providing them with a good variety of hands-on activities and giving them lots of opportunities to explore and interact with shapes is very important. Sometimes the only way to understand the difference between a square and a rectangle or a circle and an oval is through having them side-by-side and exploring how they relate to each other. And let’s face it some of those words are tough for a preschooler or kindergartener to pronounce! These hands-on 2D shape activities will give your kids lots of practice!
2D Shape Activities from Life Over C’s
Shape Posters and I Spy Sets
Shape Matching Games for Kids
Shape Play Dough Mats
More Shape Activities
We love integrating learning shapes into other fun skill-building activities. Below you’ll find some great ideas for crafts, sensory play, activities and games that provide hands-on ways to teach 2D shapes.
Play, Activities and Games for 2D Shapes
- Shape Bubble Wands from Go Science Girls
- Quadrilateral BINGO Game from You’ve Got This Math
- Learning Shapes with Toy Cars from Adventures of Adam
- Clothespin Shape Fine Motor Activity from Edventures in Learning
- 2D Shape Fine Motor Push Pin Activity from You Clever Monkey
- Scooping Shapes Bubble Water Play from Fantastic Fun and Learning
However you choose to play and learn with shapes kids are sure to have fun and build early math skills. I’d love to hear you favorite hands-on ways to teach 2D shapes!