Landform vocabulary review card game for 24 different landforms. A “Slap Jack”-style, fast-paced, unique approach to reviewing vocabulary for your landforms unit. Includes landform word cards, definition cards, and picture cards.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR THE LANDFORM VOCABULARY ‘SLAP-IT’ CARD GAMES:
Card Stock or Scrapbook Paper | Laminating Pouches | Laminator
Teacher instructions: Print on card stock and/or laminate the cards. (Card stock is recommended because some children will try to see through the cards.)
I use one-sided scrapbook paper to make the cards colorful, but it does not distort the color like colored card stock does.
You can use any format of cards for the center pile. It is best to use the format the students struggle with the most for the center pile because it allows them to relate the difficult format with formats that are easier for them to recognize.
It may also be best to use the definition cards as the center pile since they take longer to read and recognize.
You can introduce the game with only two formats (a great option for younger learners- print only the landform pictures and names) simply by making more copies of the cards you will use for the playing cards.
Then, add different formats to the playing pile as students become more familiar with the landforms being reviewed.
You can use all three formats, but introduce the game with only the most familiar landforms and add additional landforms as they are learned.
Other game suggestions: Memory (print 1 copy each of two formats) Go Fish (print 2 copies each of two formats)
Game Instructions for Landform Vocabulary Slap It!:
Needs one set of cards for CENTER pile
Use 2-4 copies of one set of cards for PLAYING cards or 2-4 sets of different cards for PLAYING cards
To play: 2-4 players
- Place the CENTER cards face down in a pile.
- Deal the PLAYING cards equally among players.
- Place them face down in a pile in front of each player.
- Decide the first player.
- Flip over one of the CENTER cards.
- In clockwise order players flip one card at a time.
- When a PLAYING card is flipped that matches the CENTER card: SLAP-IT! The first player to slap the card takes the center pile of cards that have been played and adds them to the bottom of their own pile.
- Flip another CENTER card and continue playing.
- Game is finished when time is up or one player has all the PLAYING cards.