This week the #TeachECE team is sharing activities for “All About Me”. What a great set of activities we have for you! If you are new to #TeachECE, every week a great team of bloggers shares a set of themed activities that range from special needs to gifted preschoolers, math to literacy, science to sensory! This year we also have a few kindergarteners in our fun! It’s so much fun I hope you will follow along with us as we do another full school year of preschool activities (if you want to find our past activities, search #PlayfulPreschool here on the blog.) These All About Me DIY Puzzles for preschoolers is a great way to work with kids who don’t yet understand the bigger concepts of “me”, but still love to play!
Materials needed for the All About Me DIY Puzzles:
To use: Print out the body outlines found near the end of this post.
Have your child color the picture and draw the eyes, ears, mouth, nose and hair as well. This is a perfect time to check your child’s knowledge of body parts!
If your child is not ready for drawing the details, you can draw it for them asking them to show you were each piece belongs.
Then, cut the paper into a few pieces. Depending on the skill level of your child, you may try cutting it in two vertically first. We started with three pieces and on our second puzzle we did four. A more skilled child may be able to handle more pieces. Four ended up being the perfect number for Shiloh.
You could also use some magazines and cut out various body parts and have your child glue them onto the outline and then create a puzzle for some crazy, mixed up fun.
And, of course, while you are at it be sure to sing a few rounds of “Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes”. That happens to be one of Shiloh’s favorite songs right now, except she calls it “Eyes” because she likes the last line so much.
Learning “All About Me” is a difficult topic for Shiloh because she doesn’t understand the concept of her own name (she understands it’s what we call her, but in 4 1/2 years she has never said her own name), but continued practice with activities like these will help her down the path to understanding!
For more All About ME themed activities from the Early Childhood Education Team:
- Erase Me Rhyming Activity via Growing Book by Book
- Spell Your Name Sensory Bin via Mom Inspired Life
- All About Me Early Writing Activity via The Educators’ Spin On It
- All About Me Booklet via Tiny Tots Adventures
- Learning Names in Preschool with ALL 5 Senses! via The Preschool Toolbox
- Scratch and Sniff Names via Fun-A-Day
- Fun Kindergarten Math Activities Using Their Names via Capri + 3
- All About Me Math Race via Still Playing School
- DIY My Name Puzzle Printable Template via Learning 2 Walk
- Name Recognition Snack via Munchkins and Moms
- Build my name via Rainy Day Mum