Basketball, baseball, soccer, Frisbee, hoola hoops, golf and biking! What do they all have in common? Summer activities for kids! Although the list is extensive, there usually comes a time when your kids tire of their favorite outdoor activities.
The answer? A fun game that stands the test of time and defies age limits. AND you can play virtually anywhere (the beach, the car, the living room)! This DIY tic-tac-toe covers all those bases and MORE. Involve your kids in the entire process, from rock hunting to learning tic-tac-toe rules and strategies.
DIY kids’ rock tic-tac-toe game is a fun summer game for kids that doubles as a craft idea! Kids of all ages can enjoy the process of creating something unique while spending quality time with friends and family. This is one summer craft for kids you don’t want to miss!
Benefits of Playing Games with Kids
Summertime is the PERFECT time to teach and play games with kids. When those long anticipated “lazy” afternoons and evenings turn into wrestling matches, whines, and the dreaded cries of, “I’m bo-ored!”, it’s time for a game.
Playing games as a family is one of the most valuable activities you can do with your kids. It teaches them patience and taking turns, how to win/lose gracefully, communication and language, and how to beat boredom with a healthy kids’ activity.
Games like tic-tac-toe have stood the test of time for a reason. It is simple to learn, easy to play, and ageless! This DIY tic-tac-toe wood craft will outlast even the roughest players!
The versatility of games makes them appealing to all ages and genders. A DIY outdoor tic-tac-toe game gets you and your little ones outside for a bit and can even be taken along for car rides or waiting areas.
How to Make Kids’ Rock Tic-Tac-Toe Game
Get creative with the kids’ tic-tac-toe classic game. If you don’t have any wood for your game of tic-tac-toe, feel free to use another material that can act as a DIY game board.
- Square board (other materials that would work include cardboard, sturdy paper plate, or poster board)
- Straight edge/ruler
- Rocks-5 per player (size based on the size of your board)
- Paint (acrylic works best on rocks)
- Paint brushes
- Get outside and gather some rocks.
- Paint the rocks any way you like.
- Use the straight edge/ruler to create the tic-tac-toe board by drawing lines onto the wood/cardboard/paper plate in a 3 x 3 grid.
- Play tic-tac-toe!
Rock Painting Ideas
Craft projects for kids are sometimes best when left open-ended. Get kids thinking during summer activities as they gather rocks for the wooden tic-tac-toe game.
- Are you looking for a particular shape or size?
- Does this rock remind you of a specific bug/animal/object?
- Do you want all of your rocks to be similar/different?
- What colors will you choose?
- Will you use patterns on your rocks?
- Is there a theme to your group of rocks?
Let your child create a set of rocks with imagination! Channel your own creativity and be a positive role model by creating your own set.