Basketball is a sport full of numbers and counting! One point foul shots, two point layups, and three pointers all add up to make a team’s score! And don’t forget about the 30 second shot clock counting down! Sports activities for preschool are a great way to get your active kid outside and practicing counting! These Basketball Mini Eraser Counting Mats for Preschool are an awesome counting activity for any sports loving girl or boy!
One of the main ways teachers and parents motivate kids to read is by providing them with books that match their interests! The same goes for math!
Preschool sports themed printables are perfect for getting little ones excited about learning activities and motivated to play math games!
What Math Skills Should My Preschooler Know?
When writing lesson plans, it can be hard to know exactly what math skills preschoolers should know! Here are some number related skills to work on with your preschooler!
- number recognition (correctly identifying numerals)
- rote counting (saying numbers in sequential order)
- one to one correspondence (attaching a quantity to each number)
One of the best parts about preschool math is that the skills can be easily incorporated into daily play activities and made hands-on!
Counting mats, like this one, will have your little learner having so much fun while they are playing a sports game, they will never even realize they are perfecting their counting skills!
How To Use This Basketball Themed Preschool Math Activity:
Click “Get Your Printable” at the bottom of this page, enter your email address, then head over to your inbox and download your activity!
Once you have downloaded and printed this basketball sport math activity for preschoolers, print it out and laminate it (lamination is optional, but recommended!).
Cut apart the basketball number cards, shuffle them, and put them into a pile face down.
Have your child pick a number card from the pile and place it onto the counting mat.
Using basketball mini erasers (or round counters or another manipulative) your little one will count out the number onto the basketball hoop image on the mat! Picking up the small erasers and placing them onto the mat is great fine motor skill practice!
Once the correct number has been counted out, clear the mat and pick another card for more counting practice!
Other Ways To Use This Fun Math Printable:
- Play a one on one basketball game! This is great practice for not only counting, but also comparing numbers! Each player should pick one card and count out the number of mini basketball erasers that goes with their numeral (you may want to print another counting mat so each player has their own mat!). Whoever has the most erasers (points) wins!
- For addition practice, play the game described above, but keep track of the erasers using a white board and adding the points after each round! Play five rounds and see who has the most points at the end of the game!
- Easily differentiate by deciding which number cards to include in the pile! Start with numbers 1-5, then use numbers 1-10, and once your little one is ready use the cards all the way up to 20!
Kids Love These Preschool Sports Themed Books
Goodnight Football (Sports Illustrated Kids Bedtime Books)National Geographic Kids Everything Sports: All the Photos, Facts, and Fun to Make You Jump!Goodnight Basketball (Sports Illustrated Kids Bedtime Books)Slam Dunk Mad LibsWeird But True Sports: 300 Wacky Facts About Awesome AthleticsKid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends (Kid Legends)
More Counting Activities For Preschoolers: