I can honestly say that I don’t know ONE teacher or kid who is not excited about summer and a break from school. Now with that being said, just because the school year is over doesn’t mean that the learning should stop. There are so many hands-on, exciting activities that our kiddos can partake in throughout the hottest season of the year.
Our Summer I Spy printables are the perfect way to practice important motor and cognitive skills- all while having a blast with friends! These adorable and colorful I spy pictures will have anyone longing for a cold popsicle while lounging under a giant beach umbrella.
Learning About Memory Skills:
I SPY PRESCHOOL GAME
ASKING STUDENTS TO USE COGNITIVE (THINKING) SKILLS CAN HELP BUILD THEIR WORKING MEMORY. STUDENTS CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS LIKE:
Where is this object located? What characteristics of the object will help me find it? I remember seeing that picture before, how can I find it again?
This easy I Spy printable can be used with an individual child, a pair of children, or a small group.
I spy can fit into any part of your child’s day-
- While lunch is being prepared
- A rainy afternoon
- Outside on a picnic blanket
- As a boredom buster when the whining begins.
In addition to exercising a child’s working memory, here are more concepts to explore using the I Spy board game:
- What colors are in that object?
- What shapes make up the object?
- What letter does that object start with?
- What other kind of objects might I find during the summer season?
What Social Skills Can Preschoolers Learn?
Practicing social skills with the game i spy
HAVING STUDENTS WORK TOGETHER TO PLAY THE I SPY FLIP MEMORY GAME CAN UTILIZE SOCIAL SKILLS LIKE:
- Turn-taking and patience
- Positive communication
- Resilience after a loss
“My multi-aged group loved this even more than I thought they would! “
My kiddos love this! I use it for early finishers or in the morning while they are staggering in during breakfast. They are very engaged and enjoy playing!
How To Use These I Spy Printables
How to Use the Activity
- Choose your option below to get the printable pack.
- Print, cut out, and laminate the activity for durability.
Using the “Flip” I Spy Game
Choose how many players will be participating in the game. Make sure to explain how the game is played and possibly model how to play it for them.
Once the posters are laminated, there are many learning activities you can use them for, including using dry erase markers.
How Do I Play the I Spy “Flip” Board Game?
Playing this I Spy Board game is simple.
- Choose your I Spy game board.
- Divide the cards evenly among the players.
- Place the cards face down on the table.
- All players flip their top cards at the same time.
- Race to find the picture on your card first.
- Whoever finds their picture first wins a token.
- Play continues until the playing cards have all been used.
- The player that has the most tokens at the end of the game is the winner.
Use the image cards to practice sorting colors, shapes, living vs. nonliving, and food or drinks.
Create word cards to challenge students with identifying the image with the corresponding word.
Give your child the image cards from the I Spy summer game and have them create a story using the pictures.
I Spy Game
Use the I Spy pages to play traditional I Spy. Start the game with “I Spy with my little eye…” and engage the children with verbal cues to find the matching picture.
Extend the I Spy Activity
Use the I Spy activity for kids with books about summer to locate the I Spy pictures.
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!