I’m love today’s #TeachECE theme! We are learning all about colors. There are so many great ideas, be sure to check them all out at the bottom of this post! These free color sorting mats with spinners are a fun way to practice categorizing and recognizing common colors. Shiloh has been hard at work learning her colors and right now her favorite to say is “blue” even though she doesn’t understand what she’s talking about.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Materials needed for the Free Coloring Sorting Mats with Spinners:
- 2 Laminating Pouches (highly recommended)
- 2 Paper fasteners
- 2 Paper clips
- Foam beads, wooden beads, pom poms, or other small items in the matching colors
To prep: Print and laminate the sorting mats from the download located at the bottom of this article.
Poke a small hole in the center of each spinner with a knife or the tip of a pair of scissors.
Push the paper fasteners into the hole leaving a small gap on the front of the page, so that the paper clip can spin freely. Open the backing of the paper fasteners and secure in place with the tape.
Place the paper clips around the paper fasteners to complete the spinners.
To play: Spin the spinners and place an item with the matching color onto the matching ‘paint’. There is no ‘finish’, so you can play as long as your child is content to continue or you can give a set ending by limiting the amount of beads you provide.
You can keep the activity novel in your child’s eyes, by switching out objects to sort each time she uses it.
We’re going to be playing with this one for a long time!
More Color Activities from the #TeachECE Team:
- Rhyming Activity: Crayon Color Chant
- Roll a Color Alphabet Game
- “I See a Rainbow” Book-Making
- Color Insect DIY Book for Writing Practice
- Mouse Paint: Learning About Colors in Preschool
- Colors Snap Cube Pattern Matching
- What Color Am I? Kindergarten Guessing Game
- Shades and Tints
- Color Surprise Game