Learning about the ocean is so fun for preschoolers! But for many it is an abstract thought because they’ve never actually seen an ocean and even if they have, they really don’t understand how vast and amazing they are. This ocean I Spy counting printable for preschoolers is a fun way to encourage kids to explore the ocean as much as they can!
Tools you’ll need
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To prep: Print the Ocean I Spy Counting printable found below. If you would like to use it with more than one child, I highly recommend laminating it and using a dry erase marker or crayon instead.
To use: Have the child count the ocean animals and write the number next to the correct animal on the recording page.
This really is such a simple activity and it’s a fun way to introduce kids to new words like whale, crab, puffer fish, seahorse and more.
This would be great paired up with some books about ocean animals like these:
I Spy Ocean Animals Picture Book for Kids Ages 2-5Over in the Ocean: In a Coral ReefShark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean’s Most Fearless ScientistManfish: A Story of Jacques CousteauOcean Animals: Who’s Who in the Deep BlueI Spy Everything Ocean for Kids Ages 2-4Oceans: Dolphins, sharks, penguins, and more!Hello, World! Ocean Life
Other great ways to learn about the ocean;
A local aquarium- We’ve been to several in our travels and each has been unique and wonderful!
Watch Videos like this one from All Things Animal TV:
Our Favorite Ocean Theme Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
Hello, World! Ocean LifeOver in the Ocean: In a Coral ReefInky the Octopus: The Official Story of One Brave Octopus’ Daring Escape (Includes Marine Biology Facts for Fun Early Learning!)The Ocean (Touch and Explore) (Touch and Explore, 1)Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean’s Most Fearless Scientist (Women in Science Books, Marine Biology for Kids, Shark Gifts)Oceans: Dolphins, sharks, penguins, and more!I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!Not Quite NarwhalOn Kiki’s Reef
join the newsletter & Get your free activity
Enter your email to
get your activity now!
Already a subscriber? No worries. Just enter your email here to have the activity sent directly to your inbox.
30+ more Ocean Activities for you to enjoy!!
- There’s a Shark in the Sea Beginning Sounds Song
- Alphabet Ocean Sensory Bin
- Collaborative Ocean Art Project for Kids
- Ocean Animal Tangram Cards
- Ocean Play Dough Invitation to Play and Learn
- Play Sand – Ocean Play
- Story Telling Sea Shells
- Alphabet Fun with Seashells
- Paper Plate Shell Craft
- Sea Turtle Life Cycles
- Find the Hidden Numbers Ocean Clip Cards
- Fishbowl Counting Mats and Fishy Letters
- Host an Ocean Theme Playdate
- Sea Turtle Life Cycle and Sensory Bag
- Super Simple Ocean Sensory Bin
- Message in a Bottle Craft
- Spin Art Fish
- Ocean Animal Busy Bag
- Painted Shells Art Project
- Top 10 Ocean and Beach Theme Activities
- Under the Sea Painting with Pout Pout Fish
- Commotion in the Ocean Book and Activity
- I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean Story Book and Activity
- A House For Hermit Crab Activities
- Make Rainbow Sea Shells
- DIY Mermaid Tiara to Make and Wear
- Hunting for Sharks Teeth with Kids
- Water Color and Salt Coral Reef