Get students sounding out CVC, CCVC, CVCe word families with three different levels of this fun spelling board game. Students will read and spell over 300 CVC, CCVC, and CVCe words! A great way to get them reading! All with a fun Christmas/Winter theme.
Word Families File Folder Games:
To set up the game: Print and laminate Pages 3-10.
I strongly recommend using card stock for the playing cards, so that students will not be able to see through them.
I love to print on the white side of one-sided scrapbook paper as this makes the cards opaque and attractive.
For 2-6 players
- Shuffle word cards and place them upside down on the card box of the playing board.
- Choose the first player.
- Player 1 places their marker on the gingerbread boy and girl start position. The player to the left of Player 1 draws a card from the pile and without showing it to Player 1, reads the word aloud. Player 1 must spell the word either aloud or by writing it out.
- If Player 1 spells the word correctly on the first try, he/she spins the spinner and moves ahead the number of spaces indicated. The game continues to the next player with the player to his/her left reading the word for the player to spell.
- If a player does not spell the word correctly on the first try, they remain on the same square without spinning the spinner. The game continues to the next player.
- The first person to reach the gingerbread house wins!
- **When playing with only 2 players, the opposite player reads the card to the person spelling.
This game is great for sounding out CVC, CCVC, and CVCe words.
Ways to Differentiate:
- Focus on beginning sounds instead of the entire word. You can have your students recall the letter that the word begins with rather than spell the whole word.
- Focus on end sounds. Have students recall the letter that the word ends with rather than spell the whole word.
- Only use vowel sound in the game. For example: only include words that have a medial “a” or “e”.
Great for a partner or small group center!
Our Favorite CVC Word Books For Kids:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Thing on the Wing Can Sing: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Digraphs (Sounds Like Reading ®)The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug: A Short Vowel Sounds Book (Sounds Like Reading ®)Decodable Books Kindergarten Short Vowel Sounds: Decodable Readers Kindergarten CVC WordsStop, Drop, and Flop in the Slop: A Short Vowel Sounds Book with Consonant Blends (Sounds Like Reading ®)Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers