Birds tweeting, crickets chirping, frogs croaking! All these are nature’s beautiful ways of telling us that spring has sprung! Spring is the perfect time to get little ones outside to explore the world around them. Little learners are curious about everything and are sure to start asking questions! One of my preschoolers favorite creatures to ask questions about is FROGS! This adorable, FREE, Life Cycle of a Frog Mini Book is sure to keep your little learner captivated and wanting to know more and more about frogs!
The life cycle of a frog (or any animal) can be a hard concept to explain to little ones. This life cycle of a frog activity makes it so much easier to teach!
What is the life cycle of a frog?
The life cycle of a frog is the stages of a frog’s life and how it changes during each one!
Depending on who you ask you will get a different answer as to how many stages there are! Many people teach about 4 stages of a frog life cycle.
There are many details that make each stage unique, however to start out simple for preschoolers here are the details you may want to consider teaching first!
- Frogs lay eggs
- Tadpoles hatch from frog eggs
- Tadpoles develop front legs and hind legs
- The tadpoles’ long tails disappear as they become froglets
- Froglets (young frogs) grow into adult frogs
This free preschool life cycle of a frog mini book is a perfect way to introduce the life cycle of a frog!
More Frog Fun!
Why should I teach about life cycles?
Besides the fact that life cycles are fascinating and young learners will be begging to hear more, there are many other benefits to teaching about them!
Students who learn about life cycles will surely become more interested in the world around them and gain a better appreciation for nature!
Your little learner will have so much fun creating this life cycle of a frog book that they will be eager to learn about more plant and animal life cycles! Excited learners are every parent and teacher’s dream!!
Get Awesome Life Cycle Books for Kids
A Frog’s LifeTadpole to Frog (Growing Up) (Library Edition) (Explore the Life Cycle!)El Ciclo De Vida De La Rana/Life cycle of a frog (Ciclo De Vida / The Life Cycle) (Spanish Edition)FrogsFrom Tadpole to Frog (Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1)How Does a Frog Grow? (Life Cycle Board Books)And the Bullfrogs Sing: A Life Cycle Begins
How to Use This Printable Frog Life Cycle Activity:
Materials needed for the Frog Life Cycle Fold-Up Book:
- Green card stock or construction paper
- Glue Stick
- Frog Life Cycle printable (download below)
More learning Fun: Fine-Motor Frog Life Cycle Craft
To create the fold-up portion, simply take a piece of green construction paper and cut it in half the long way. Glue the pieces together end to end.
Fold over 1″ on an end and glue the frog’s face, so that is on the outside of the fold. You will need six more folds and then you can attach some legs to the leftover sections.
More learning fun: Frog Life Cycle “War” Card Game
Glue the life cycle pictures and labels into the fold-up book for a fun and simple way to learn about frogs!
Other ways to use this activity:
- Do more research with your litter learner! They will love this frog life cycle video National Geographic put together as a quick look at the life cycle of the Red-eyed Tree Frog.
- Print a second copy of the activity. Mix up the pictures and have your little learner work on sequencing the life cycle independently!
- Have your learner work on their fine motor skills by cutting, gluing, and coloring a black and white printed copy of this activity!
- Laminate the completed activity so your learner can continue to practice tracing the words.
- Take your little learner on a field trip to a pond so they can see where a frog or a tadpole lives!
More learning fun: Frog Number Lines for Addition and Subtraction