“I KNOW THAT WORD!” Those proud words coming from a preschooler or kindergartener are music to the ears of parents and teachers alike. Just think how excited your beginning readers will be to start working on reading skills with these pre k sight words printable worksheets when they recognize the words printed on them.
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are exactly what they sound like…words automatically known when they are seen. Sight words help children learn to read. The reader has actually memorized the words to immediately recognize and read them without trying to say the letter sounds or use any other decoding strategy.
Why Do We Teach Sight Words?
Sight words are frequently used in text and once children learn them, it makes reading easier. They can then focus on decoding more difficult words. Reading fluency and comprehension improves. Additionally, their confidence as a reader increases with every, “I KNOW THAT WORD!!”
Which Sight Word List Should I Use?
Google ‘ Pre K Sight Words List’ and be prepared to be overwhelmed and probably a little confused with so many different lists. Which word list should you teach? Well, all of them, of course!
They all are important for readers to learn, but the Dolch Sight Words Pre K List is the most commonly used to teach sight words. The Dolch sight Words List of 220 words are grouped by grade-level, starting with Pre-K and going through 3rd Grade.
The Pre-K Dolch Words List
The Dolch Pre-K Words List, also called the Pre-Primer Dolch Words List, contains 40 words. These are the words featured in this fun new printable sight words packet. Words included: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you.
Free Printable Pre-K Sight Word Worksheets
The six different activities for each worksheet give beginning readers lots of practice working with the preschool sight words. How to introduce sight words in pre K? Yes.. we need to know. Children will read the word, trace the word, build the word, write the word, rainbow write the word, and find and color the word.
The black and white worksheets are low ink printables to help you save on a hot commodity–your printer’s ink. Save even more ink by printing a set and putting them in sleeve protectors–Instant Word Work Center!
Differentiate the printable sight words for pre k and create six different small group or center activities with some card stock, lamination, and a pair of scissors! Print the sight word activity worksheets on cover stock, laminate, and cut the activities apart.
- The ‘read the word’ activity becomes a set of flash cards or word wall words.
- Students can use different Reading Materials to find the ‘read the word’ in text.
- Use dry erase markers or playdough for the ‘trace the word’ activity.
- Letter Magnets can be used to spell the word for the ‘build the word’ activity.
- Dry erase markers make the ‘write the word’ activity perfect for small group time–you say the word or show the word and have them write it from memory or copy it for those students just learning the sight words.
- ‘Rainbow write the word’ becomes a fine-motor skills center when children use beans, beads, small pompoms, or any other small manipulative.
- Don’t laminate the ‘find and color the word’ sight words printable activity. Use it as a check-for-understanding center where students color the focused dolch pre-k sight words of the center.
- Make two copies of ‘read the word’ or ‘rainbow write the word’ for fun Sight Word Games.
40 Free Printable Pre-K Sight Word Worksheets
You’ll be able to instantly download this file containing ALL 40 of the words on the Pre-K Dolch Word List and it’s completely FREE! That’s right, I’m not going to try and tease you with just a few sample worksheets and then have you pay to print the rest of the word list. You’re going to receive 40 kid-friendly, printable worksheets, one worksheet page for each list of sight word on the Pre-K Dolch Words.
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!
join the newsletter & Get your free activity
Get Your Free Printable Pre-K Sight Word Worksheets Here!
Already a subscriber? No worries. Just enter your email here to have the activity sent directly to your inbox.
Ready for More?
After your preschoolers and kindergarteners master the 40 Words of the Pre-K Dolch Words List, they’re ready for the next set of worksheets: the Free Printable Kindergarten Sight Words Worksheets. The packet includes all 52 words of the Kindergarten Dolch Sight Words List (also called the Primer Dolch Words List).