There is nothing more satisfying to a parent or teacher than hearing their kindergartener beginning to read. Just wait until you hear the excitement in your child’s voice when they realize they can recognize the words on these sight words worksheets.
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are exactly what they sound like…words readers automatically know when they see them. The reader has actually memorized the words to immediately recognize and read them without trying to say the letter sounds or use any other decoding strategy.
Why Do We Teach Sight Words?
Sight words are frequently used throughout text and once children learn them, it makes reading easier for them. They can then spend their energy on decoding more difficult words. Reading fluency and comprehension also begins to improve. Additionally, their confidence as a reader increases with every, “I KNOW THAT WORD!!”
Dolch, Fry, High Frequency Words…OH MY!
Google the phrase: ‘Sight Words List’ and hundreds of links will pop-up of different words lists and opinions on which words children need to know. So which word list should you teach? Well, all of them, of course!
They all are important for readers to learn, but the Dolch Sight Words List is the most commonly used to teach sight words. The Dolch Words List of 220 service words are grouped by grade-level, starting with Pre-K and going through 3rd Grade.
Kindergarten Dolch Words List
The Kindergarten Dolch Words List, also called the Primer Dolch Words List, contains 52 words. Those are the words that are featured in this fun new printable sight words packet. Words included in the packet: all, am, are, at, ate, be, black, brown, but, came, did, do, eat, four, get, good, have, he, into, like, must, new, no, now, on, our, out, please, pretty, ran, ride, saw, say, she, so, soon, that, there, they, this, too, under, want, was, well, went, what, white, who, will, with, yes.
Each worksheet has six different activities to give beginning readers lots of practice working with the kinder sight words. Children will read the word, trace the word, build the word, write the word, rainbow write the word, and find and color the word.
The black and white worksheets are low ink printables to help you save on a hot commodity–your printer’s ink. Save even more ink by printing a set and putting them in sleeve protectors–Instant Word Work Center!
Differinate the worksheets and create six different small group or center activities with some card stock, lamination, and a pair of scissors! Print the sight word activity worksheets on cover stock, laminate some of them, and then cut the activities apart.
- The ‘read the word’ activity becomes a set of flash cards or word wall words.
- Use the ‘read the word’ activity and different Reading Materials for students to find words in text.
- Dry erase markers or playdough can be used with the ‘trace the word’ activity.
- Letter Magnets can be used to spell the words with the ‘build the word’ activity.
- Dry erase markers make the ‘write the word’ activity perfect for small group time–you say the word or show the word and have them write it from memory or copy it for those students just learning the sight words.
- ‘Rainbow write the word’ becomes a fine-motor skills center when children use beans, beads, small pompoms, or any other small manipulative to fill in the letters.
- The ‘find and color the word’ sight words printable activity can be used as a check-for-understanding center where students color the focused kindergarten sight words of the center.
- Make two copies of ‘read the word’ or ‘rainbow write the word’ for all sorts of additional fun Sight Word Games.
You’ll receive instant worksheet access to ALL 52 of the words on the Kindergarten Dolch Word List completely FREE of charge! That’s right–I’m not trying to tease you with just a few sample worksheets and then charge you if you want to print the rest of the words on the list. Download all 52 kid-friendly, printable worksheets, one worksheet page for each sight word on the Kindergarten Dolch Words List.
Ready for More?
After your little learners have mastered the 42 Pre-K Words and the 52 Kindergarten Sight Words available in my other packets, they’ll be ready for the next set of worksheets: the Free Printable First Grade Sight Words Worksheets. The packet includes all 41 words on the First Grade Dolch Sight Words List.
Download the Five Printable Sight Words Worksheets Packets to teach all of your children. That’s 220 Free Sight Word Worksheets featuring all of the 220 Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, and 3rd Grade Dolch Sight Words!
More Sight Words Resources and Games: