Cars and other forms of transportation are pretty fascinating, aren’t they? Moving in general, but moving fast too. The horns and other various noises. Learning about cars, boats, and buses can be interesting in itself, but doing a transportation unit study is bound to help your car lovers learn. Perfect for a transportation theme in preschool, kindergarten or elementary!
You can incorporate various areas of learning and development into your unit study with a transportation theme. Here are our favorites including math, literacy, sensory, science and arts & crafts. Enjoy!
Transportation Theme: Math
- Learning Shapes With Toy Cars from Adventures of Adam
- Transportation Number Rhymes: Print and ‘Drive’ from Preschool Mom
- Fun Numbers Game: Numbers Carwash from Inspired By Family
- Transportation Pattern Block Mats from PreKinders
- Dump Truck Counting Mat from The Measured Mom
Transportation Theme: Literacy
- Dump Truck Alphabet Rocks Activity from Mom Inspired Life
- Transportation Easy Reader Book from 3 Dinosaurs
- The Name Train from Stepping Stones Child Care
- Learn Your Name With Hot Wheels Cars from Frugal Fun 4 Boys and Girls
Transportation Theme: Arts & Crafts
- Egg Carton Cars from The Pinterested Parent
- Clothespin and Button Car Craft For Kids from Frugal Fun 4 Boys and Girls
- Cardboard Tube Car Ramps from The Imagination Tree
- Car Craft With Sponge Painting from Buggy and Buddy
- Racing Wind Cars from Crafty Morning
- Monster Truck Craft For Kids from Little Family Fun
Transportation Theme: Science
- Magnet Powered Car from The Science Kiddo
- Magnet Track from Meaningful Mama
- Science For Kids: Exploring Ramps and Friction from Pre-K Pages
- Alka-Seltzer Rockets from Playful Learning
Transportation Theme: Sensory
- Painting With Toy Cars from Messy Little Monster
- Muddy Trucks and Car Wash from Busy Toddler
- Melting Ice Activity with Frozen Hot Wheels Cars Rescue from Little Bins for Little Hands
- Transportation Color Sorting and Mixing from Pre-K Pages
- Build – A – Road: Playdough Play from Kitchen Floor Crafts
Planning for a Transportation Theme? We’ve done all the work for you!
We now have interactive thematic lesson plans for toddlers (18-35 months) AND preschoolers (3-5 years)! Get ready for fun and learning with unit lesson plans for your TRANSPORTATION THEME. Explore a variety of themed hands-on activities! Easy to follow lesson plans include activity modifications and adaptations to meet the needs of all learners. For more information, click on the graphics below:
Get a full-year of math activities
A full-year of kindergarten math activities: perfect for small groups, partner activities and independent centers.
Our Favorite Transportation Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site (Hardcover Books for Toddlers, Preschool Books for Kids)Little Blue TruckBackhoe JoeIf I Built a Car (If I Built Series)Cars GaloreSheep In A Jeep (read-Aloud)The Toy Boat