Today we are going to do a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT! Say those two magic words and immediately you have a classroom or house full of excited children! No matter how complex or easy the science experiment is, my kids are always eager to participate. This Apple Volcano Preschool Science Experiment is a super simple preschool science experiment that your little ones will beg you to do over and over again!
Young kids, older kids, even the adult kids at heart will love this fun preschool science experiment! With just a few simple materials like baking soda and vinegar, you can create a chemical reaction that will get everyone in your house excited!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How Do I Teach My Preschooler Science?
The best way to teach science to your preschooler is to make it hands-on, interactive, and fun!
Let your little learner decide what they would like to learn about! Their curiosity can help guide you in figuring out what to teach!
Animals, bugs, plants, dinosaurs, and the solar system are all popular science topics among my preschoolers! They also love STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) activities!
It can be fun to keep a small science notebook with your child! Write down questions they have, let them draw pictures, paste pictures, record new vocabulary words, and take notes with your help!
A science notebook can also be a great place to put pictures of your little one working on science experiments!
Why Are Science Experiments Important?
- Experiments spark curiosity and get kids asking questions!
- There are always plenty of opportunities to strengthen fine motor skills while working on science experiments. Whether you are mixing, measuring, scooping, or pouring, little fingers and hands are getting a work out!
- Making observations during experiments helps teach little ones to use their senses to gather information! What do you hear, smell, and see?
- Science experiments are a great way to get learners excited, interested, and wanting to know more! This can create a wonderful motivation to read and find out more information!
How To Do This Apple Volcano Preschool Science Experiment:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- food coloring (optional)
- 1 apple
First, prepare your apple for this super cool preschool science experiment! Remove the core of the apple, but leave the bottom intact so there is a cavity inside the apple (a melon baller works great for this part).
Spoon the baking soda into the bottom of the apple. Add food coloring if desired!
Pour the vinegar over the baking soda and watch your erupting apple!
Other Options For This Apple Volcano Science Activity:
- Experiment with different types of apples!
- Use multiple apples at one time with different colored food dye to create a rainbow apple volcano activity!
- Use this activity to help introduce the scientific method! Ask questions, make predictions, record observations, and then ask more questions!
- Research different types of volcanoes! Pick your favorite type, use play dough to make the volcano shape, and make it erupt!
Our Favorite S.T.E.M. Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Easy Product Displays Products her
Awesome Science Experiments for Kids: 100+ Fun STEM / STEAM Projects and Why They Work (Awesome STEAM Activities for Kids)I Can Be a Math Magician: Fun STEM Activities for Kids (Dover Children’s Activity Books)STEM Activity Book: Science Technology Engineering Math: Packed with Activities and Facts (STEM Starters for Kids)TIME FOR KIDS® Nonfiction Readers STEM Grade 5, 10-Book SetNational Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Space (Little Kids First Big Books)Mistakes That Worked: 40 Familiar Inventions & How They Came to Be