An engaging partner game for building fluency with decimal place value. Students will compare between numbers with decimals and decide which has the greater value. Students will get lots of practice with place value and inequalities through a fast-paced, fluency building game.
Included in the Decimal Place Value War Card Game Set:
9 Unique sets of decimal place value cards with varying skill levels:
- Decimal Place value to the tenths place
- Decimal Place value to the hundredths place
- Decimal Place value to the thousandths place
Print 2-4 copies of each set to make a deck. Use card stock or laminate for durability.
I highly recommend printing on card stock as students will be able to see through regular printer paper and cheat.
Another suggestion is to use one-sided scrapbook paper which is also not see through, but also makes the deck attractive on both sides.
More copies=more cards, longer game, more review
With 9 different card games, your students will have lots of opportunities to build their place value understanding and become fluent reading and using large numbers.
The Decimal Place Value game is played as a traditional game of “War”:
How to play Decimal Place Value “War”
- Divide cards evenly among two players.
- Place cards face down in a stack
- Players each turn over one card at the same time
- Player with the word that has the highest value takes both cards and adds them to the bottom of their pile
- In case of tie, each player lays down three cards face down and then turns the third card. Highest value wins all the cards.
- Play continues as time allows or one player runs out of cards Great partner center!!