Have your kids mastered counting to 5 and need more of a challenge? This week’s #TeachECE theme is the perfect solution! We’re focusing on counting from 6-10 in all of our activities today. Start off with this free printable counting game for numbers 6 to 10 and then check out all the other great ideas from #TeachECE that are linked at the bottom of this post. Plus, be sure to search the #TeachECE hashtag, for lots of other great ideas!
Tools you’ll need
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This game is super easy to prepare!
Print the game board on paper or card stock. Then print the 2 pages of cards on the white side of scrapbook paper (so they aren’t see-through.)
Then laminate all the pieces for durability and cut out the cards.
Place your marker on the “Start” map. Place all the cards upside-down on the “Card Draw Pile”.
Choose a player to go first.
The player will draw a card from the pile and read the number or count the objects on the card. Then the player will move his game marker to the next space that matches that number.
If a player lands on a space with an arrow, he will follow the arrow to the new space.
If a “Heart Gem” card is drawn the player will head to the closest Heart Gem space, even if it is behind him.
To win by landing on the last 10, a player MUST draw a card whose answer is 10 from the pile.
Other uses for the cards:
- Sort the cards by matching the numbers
- Put each type of card in numerical order
- Play “memory” by using two sets of 1-5 cards (example: dice and trucks)
- Play a game of “Go Fish”. The cards are perfectly sized for little hands!
- Lay out a set of 6-10 cards. Remove one and have your child determine which one is missing.
- Start talking about ‘less’ and ‘more’. Demonstrate to your child that the cards with ‘7’ have less than the cards with ‘9’.
Our Favorite Counting Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Easy Product Displays
Counting Animals on the Farm: Counting book for kids, Learn numbers from 1 to10, Counting AnimalsCounting CrocodilesTen Black DotsHand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (Bright & Early Board Books)Curious George Learns to Count from 1 to 100 Big BookChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3
If you missed the Counting to 5 Board Game, you can get it here.
- How can I teach numbers 6-10 and Writing?
- Fine Motor Number Building Challenge
- Turkey Counting Rhyme
- Acorn and Squirrel Clip Cards
- Candy Cane Counting Sticks in Preschool