There is no better music to a teacher or parent’s ears than hearing their little learner exclaim, “I can read!!” Once a student becomes interested in reading we will do almost anything to keep them excited and interested. As young readers build confidence in their reading skills they will be motivated to continue learning to read. One of the biggest ways we can help build confidence in our students is through teaching sight words!
These free print and go sight word worksheets are every teacher’s dream! It’s so easy to build reading fluency by increasing a child’s sight word vocabulary.
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are common words that appear when learners are working through grade level reading materials. They are words that students should automatically recognize and be able to read without phonics or decoding skills.
There are a few different sight word lists out there! These printable activities use the Dolch word lists, which is the most commonly used list of sight words.
Dolch Sight Word Lists By Grade Level
- Pre-Primer/Preschool Sight Words: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you
- Primer/Kindergarten Sight Words: all, am, are, at, ate, be, black, brown, but, came, did, do, eat, four, get, good, have, he, into, like, must, new, no, now, on, our, out, please, pretty, ran, ride, saw, say, she, so, soon, that, there, they, this, too, under, want, was, well, went, what, white, who, will, with, yes
- 1st Grade Sight Words: after, again, an, any, as, ask, by, could, every, fly, from, give, going, had, has, her, him, his, how, just, know, let, live, may, of, old, once, open, over, put, round, some, stop, take, thank, them, then, think, walk, were, when
- 2nd Grade Sight Words: always, around, because, been, before, best, both, buy, call, cold, does, don’t, fast, first, five, found, gave, goes, green, its, made, many, off, or, pull, read, right, sing, sit, sleep, tell, their, these, those, upon, us, use, very, wash, which, why, wish, work, would, write, your
- 3rd Grade Sight Words: about, better, bring, carry, clean, cut, done, draw, drink, eight, fall, far, full, got, grow, hold, hot, hurt, if, keep, kind, laugh, light, long, much, myself, never, only, own, pick, seven, shall, show, six, small, start, ten, today, together, try, warm
Why Do We Teach Sight Words?
The ultimate end goal for any child learning to read is that they are not only able to read the words, but also comprehend what they are reading.
On the path to reading comprehension, we also want students to be able to read accurately, fluently, and quickly! This is where sight words come in!
The more words students are able to automatically recognize and read, the more quickly and fluently they will be able to read!
Once little learners are able to identify words without struggling, they are better able to focus on the meaning of the text (reading comprehension).
This all leads to more confident readers who love to read!
How Do We Teach Sight Words?
Repetition is key to teaching sight words! The more a student is exposed to a word, the more likely they are to remember it!
Contrary to what some may believe, repetition does not have to equal boring! These activities provide multiple opportunities for practice through engaging activities!
Children learn best when they are excited about the activities they are working on. These sight word printable pages provide the opportunity for the word to be practiced 6 different ways!
Students will read, write, build, color, and trace their way to sight word mastery using these fun printable worksheets! Whether your learner is working on preschool, kindergarten, third, second, or first grade sight words, they are sure to be excited about these activities!
Other Ways To Practice Sight Words:
- Make flash cards for your little learner! Whenever you have a few spare minutes during the day spend some time practicing!
- Create your own sight word games!
- Designate a place for a word wall in your house or classroom.
You can use these Sight Word Worksheets to practice all 220 words! Just a simple print & go activity that you can have ready for your students in just minutes.