“One, two, fwee, foh, five.” …Hearing your little one starting to count is exciting; but, learning to count requires so much more than just repeating numbers in a specific order. Children need to develop a strong number sense early on in order to be successful in more difficult mathematical concepts. These free printable Sunflower Seed Counting Cards were designed to specifically target the group of skills preschoolers need to help them develop number sense.
So What Exactly Is Number Sense?
Number sense is a group of skills that allow children to work with numbers–it’s understanding numbers and what numbers are all about. For some kids, number sense comes easy to them; whereas, for others, they really struggle. The struggle comes from a lack of understanding in some, or all, of the basic ‘group of skills’.
Daily practice counting and repeated exposure of the basic math skills can help young children develop a strong number sense foundation needed for their continued math success.
Preschool Math Skills
- can count from memory (rote counting-reciting numbers in order)
- can count a set of objects with one-to-one correspondence (counting one object while saying the corresponding number)
- have number recognition and understand that the number represents a set of objects (example: recognizes the symbol for number 3 AND understands that the symbol for 3 means three of something)
Sunflower Seed Counting Cards for Kids
Each card in this free set of 10 counting cards for preschool features a number (1-10), the matching number word, and an illustration of the corresponding number of sunflower seeds. These simple, easy to read cards are black and white so they are low ink and printer-friendly.
The cards can be printed on white card stock for a simple ‘Rae Dunn’ sorta feel or you can choose to print them on colored cardstock, such as sunflower yellow. Cut cards apart and laminate for extra durability–which can be especially useful in the hands of preschool and kindergarten children.
Fun Counting Activities for Preschoolers
There’s so many counting games and number activities these cards can used for to make math fun for not only kindergarten and preschool students, but many are also perfect for teaching 2 and 3 year old children beginning counting skills.
- Add some small clothespins (available at the Dollar Store or in the arts and crafts department of Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, etc.) to make clip cards–have children clip the number or the word on the cards or clip the same number of clothespins to the card to match the sunflower seeds (Bonus: This is a Fantastic Fine-Motor Skills Activity)
- Provide a pile small yellow pom-poms for a cute sunflower preschool count and match activity (Another Great Fine-Motor Skills Activity)
- Have children put the cards in number order and then touch and count each card as they count up
- Lay the cards out and call out a number–have kids find the corresponding number card (Tip: Start with only a few numbers based on child’s ability and allow them to county to the sunflower seeds on the cards to find the correct card)
- Memory Math Match–Make another set of the cards for another fun math game you can teach kids so they can play independently or with a friend during center time that includes counting, number recognition, and memory skills
- Make a Delicious Math Activity by providing actual sunflower seeds to count and match to the cards for added preschool counting fun–afterwards, either allow kids to eat their math seeds or plant them for a whole new different set of Sunflower Activities for preschool!
“A teacher plants the seeds of knowledge, sprinkles them with love, and patiently nurtures their growth to produce tomorrow’s dreams.”William Shakespeare
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!