Third Grade–EVERYTHING Changes! Students are expected to know more, do more, TEST MORE! Third Grade is Stressful! Ease your child’s anxiety by helping them practice grade-level sight words with these sight word worksheets while increasing their reading fluency, comprehension, and overall confidence!
What Are Sight Words?
Sight words are exactly what they sound like…words readers automatically know when they see them. The reader has actually memorized the words to immediately recognize and read them without trying to say the letter sounds or use any other decoding strategy.
Why Do We Teach Sight Words?
Sight words are frequently used throughout text and once children learn them, it makes reading easier for them. Then they can spend their energy on decoding more difficult words. Reading fluency and comprehension also begins to improve. Additionally, their confidence as a reader increases with every, “I KNOW THAT WORD!!”
Dolch, Fry, High Frequency Words…OH MY!
Google the phrase: ‘Sight Words List.’ Your search request will result in pages and pages of all different types of word lists. So which word list do children need to learn? You Guessed It–ALL of them!
Of course they’re all important for readers to learn, but the Dolch Sight Words List is the most commonly used to teach sight words. There’s a total of 220 words on the Dolch Words List. The words are grouped by grade-level, starting with Pre-K and going through 3rd Grade.
Third Grade Dolch Words List
The Third Grade Dolch Sight Words List contains 41 words. Those words are featured in this printable sight words packet. Words Included: about, better, bring, carry, clean, cut, done, draw, drink, eight, fall, far, full, got, grow, hold, hot, hurt, if, keep, kind, laugh, light, long, much, myself, never, only, own, pick, seven, shall, show, six, small, start, ten, today, together, try, warm.
Sight Words Printables
Each worksheet has six different activities to give beginning readers lots
of practice working with the second grade sight words. Children will read the word, trace the word, build the word, write the word, rainbow write the word, and find and color the word.
The black and white worksheets are low ink printables to help you save on a
hot commodity–your printer’s ink. Save even more ink by printing a set and
putting them in sleeve protectors–Instant Word Work Centers!
These printable worksheets are perfect to use as interventions for students, too. Differentiating worksheets to create six different small group or center
activities is easy with just some card stock, lamination, and a pair of scissors!
Print the sight word activity worksheets on cover stock, laminate some of them, and then cut the activities apart.
- The ‘read the word’ activity becomes a set of flash cards, word wall words, or put them on a ring and they become individual sight word practice resources
- Hide ‘read the word’ or ‘rainbow write words’ around the classroom for students to find and write
- Use the ‘read the word’ activity and different Reading Materials for children to recognize the words in text
- Dry erase markers or playdough can be used with the ‘trace the word’ activity
- Use Letter Magnets with the ‘build the word’ activity to spell words
- Dry erase markers make the ‘write the word’ activity perfect for small group time–you say the word or show the word and have them write it from memory or copy it for those students just learning the sight words
- ‘Rainbow write the word’ becomes a vowel/consonants identifying activity
- Use the ‘find and color the word’ activity as a check-for-understanding center where students color the focused sight words of the center
- Make two copies of ‘read the word’ or ‘rainbow write the word’ for all sorts of additional fun Sight Word Games, such as ‘War’, ‘Memory’, ‘Bingo’, etc.
- Have students make their own sight words resource book gluing any of the activities in a notebook
- Children can use the ‘Read and Rainbow Write’ Word Cards to write sight words in their own sentences
FREE…Don’t You Just Love That Word?!
You’ll receive instant worksheet access to ALL 41 of the words on the Third Grade Dolch Words List completely FREE of charge! That’s right–Just like with the other Pre-K-2nd Grade Packets, I’m not going to tease you with just a few sample worksheets for you to try and then charge you if you want the rest of the word worksheets. I give you instant access to download all 41 kid-friendly, printable worksheets, one worksheet page for each sight word on the Third Grade Sight Words List.
Other Grade-Level Packets Available
Whether your child is grade-level proficient or needs additional reading interventions, downloading all of the Printable Sight Words Worksheet Packets, will provide you with instant resources to teach, differentiate, or use as an intervention to meet the needs of every one of your students. That’s 220 FREE Sight Words Worksheets featuring all of the 220 Pre-Primer/Pre-K, Primer/Kindergarten Sight Words, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, and 3rd Grade Dolch Sight Words!
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!