Enjoying the Christmas season with toddlers and preschoolers can adequately be summed up with the famous quote, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” LOL! We can all agree it’s wonderful to share Christmas activities with kids, teach them traditions while we make up new ones, and enjoy all the magic the season offers. Our newest magic is this Christmas Themed Sensory Bottle.
However, all that excitement and stimulation can come to a “screeching” halt when it becomes too much for youngsters to handle. Christmas Sensory Bottles for Preschool is an ideal activity for toddlers and preschoolers. Not only is it a fun, sparkly craft, but it doubles as a truly useful tool when emotions run high.
Making the glitter sensory bottle is simple enough to do with young learners and requires just a few supplies. Then, your children can enjoy Christmas sensory play for the entire holiday season.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Benefits of Sensory Christmas Crafts
Christmas sensory activities for preschoolers and toddlers provide a wealth of benefits for early learners. Not only are children readily engaged and invested in the Christmas theme, but the sensory experience also contributes to important developmental milestones.
Sensory play in toddlers and preschoolers:
- Builds nerve connections in the brain
- Supports oral language development and vocabulary acquisition
- Improves and strengthens gross and fine motor muscles
- Encourages creativity and problem solving
- Promotes mindfulness and coping strategies
- Develops and enhances memory
When a child begins to show signs of fatigue, anxiety, or stress, use the Christmas sensory bottle as a tool for calming down.
Shake the bottle vigorously, or ask the child to do it. Then, place the child in a quiet space to watch the glitter settle. Teach children that when the glitter settles to the bottom and they feel more calm, they can rejoin whatever they were doing.
How to Make Christmas Theme Sensory Bottles for Preschoolers
You can make Christmas themed sensory activities with your students, or for your students. Either way, our youngest learners will benefit from the sensory play. This Christmas Theme Sensory Bottle is a wonderful sensory activity.
- Pour the glue into the sensory bottle.
- Add the sequins, glitter, and beads.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with water.
- Close the sensory bottle. Secure lid if desired.
- Shake the bottle until all contents move around freely. Now your littles have a fun Christmas Themed Sensory Bottle to play with.
Other Christmas Sensory Play Ideas
Integrating a Christmas theme into play ideas for toddlers just takes a bit of creativity. You can easily provide sensory activities, fine motor skill development and concept review with engaging, fun Christmas learning activities.
- Cloud dough-A wonderful, Christmas sensory idea that provides hours of soft, fluffy entertainment! Add glitter, dye it red or green, or add Christmas themed beads.
- Decorate the Christmas tree! Whether it’s a mini tree, a real tree, or even a paper tree craft, the experience is chock full of scents, textures and visual stimuli.
- Play dough-Mix together a basic play dough and then add holiday touches, such as holiday spices (cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cloves, etc.) Then, get out those cookie cutters for a fun Christmas sensory idea for preschoolers that doesn’t require baking!
- Christmas sensory bin-Start with something fluffy, like cotton balls or batting, then add jingle bells, poinsettias, holly, mistletoe, candy canes, cranberries, pompoms, red and green plastic fruit, and anything else that fits a holiday theme.
- Pipe cleaner candy cane craft-Work those fine motor muscles by twisting red and white pipe cleaners together and bending into the shape of a candy cane. Practice counting skills by sliding beads onto the cane.
Our Favorite Christmas Books for Kids:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
The Nativity Story for Toddlers and Kids: The Christmas Book with Simplified Classic Bible Jesus’ Birth Story and Cute, Large Pictures (Christian Stories for Children)Construction Site on Christmas Night: (Christmas Book for Kids, Childrens Book, Holiday Picture Book)Little Blue Truck’s ChristmasLittle Red Sleigh: A Heartwarming Christmas Book For ChildrenNever EVER Race a Reindeer: A Funny Rhyming, Read Aloud Picture BookHow to Catch an ElfAll I Want for Christmas Is Ewe: A Sweet and Silly Pun-Filled Christmas Book for Kids (Stocking Stuffer for Toddlers)Grumpy Monkey Oh, No! ChristmasThe Jolly Christmas PostmanJan Brett’s The NutcrackerPolar Express 30th Anniversary Edition