Nursery Rhymes and children seem to go hand in hand. They love them, don’t they? Kids songs are are not just catchy little jingles, they are also one fantastic way to help children learn important skills, like preschool math. Our Five Little Ducks Number Line Activity is a printable, easy to prep activity to help your preschoolers learn to become more independent in their understanding of numbers and number order.
This 5 Little Ducks Number Line activity is not only a fabulous counting activity for preschoolers but it is also great for adults too. Why? Because it is super easy to prep! Printing is the first step and then after that it is all optional. You can laminate it or put it in a sheet protector to keep it safe, but you don’t have to.
What Math Skills Does This Number Line Activity Teach Preschoolers?
- Number Recognition
- Number Order
- Comparing Numbers (greater than, less than, etc)
- Subitizing (Recognizing a number in a set without counting)
How Does This Activity Benefit Preschoolers?
Children need repetition to learn new skills and strengthen ones they have been introduced to. While using the 5 Little Ducks song is a great way to help children know which number comes after the next, the duck number posters elevates the activity. These number line posters will help children see what each number looks like, visualize what comes after and what is before, as well as help with comparing numbers.
While there are many ways these number posters could be used, placing them on the ground and using as ‘steps’ increases the strengthening of gross motor skills as well. Preschoolers benefit from gross motor skill strengthening because it can lead to life long physical health, confidence and self esteem, among other benefits.
How To Use This Five Little Ducks Number Line Activity?
To start we watched this “Five Little Ducks on the Pond” video on YouTube. There is a short advertisement at the beginning, but the song is so cute that we listened to it 5 times straight before we started. Watching this nursery rhyme video for kids is not required, but it does help add to the activity.
There are many ways that these number line cards can be used, but we started by taping them to the floor in order. Children can walk slowly over the ducks counting, saying the next number as the child steps on each new duck.
To add variety or for children who are ready for more of a challenge, they can hop or jump from one number to the next. Additionally, the numbers could be placed on the floor, in close proximity, out of order. Then children can step or hop from 1, to 2, find 3, and so on.
Other Ways To Use The 5 Ducks Number Line Cards
- Place the duck number cards in various parts of the room, even hide them. Ask your child to find the cards and put them in order.
- Show one duck number card at a time and ask your child to say the number that comes before or after the number on the card.
- Hang the duck number cards on the wall in order as number posters.
- Hold up a number card and ask them to write the number on a piece of paper or dry erase board.
- Hold the number up during the song to show a visual representation while the song is being sung.
- Put the number line cards in order then remove one of the numbers. Ask your child to identify the number that is missing.
More Five Little Ducks Preschool Activities You’ll Love!
Be sure to check out the other great posts for Playful Preschool’s pond theme!
- Frog Pond Alphabet Activity
- Jello Pond Dive- Sight Word Match
- Healthy Green ‘Pond Water’ Smoothies to Make with Kids
- Learn to Read Simple Sentences with LEGO Pond Animals