Snow globes are one of my children’s favorite winter decorations. They love watching the snow swirl around inside the container and create a winter wonderland in their hands! Another thing they love about winter is snowmen. So, you can imagine their delight when I let them create a sensory bottle that is basically a snow globe inside of a snowman! This Snowman Sensory Bottle DIY for Preschoolers is an easy, inexpensive way to provide your child with hours of sensory play fun!
There are plenty of sensory play toys out there that you can purchase, but I think it is more fun (and budget friendly!) to create them at home!
What is Sensory Play?
Sensory play is any activity that helps to stimulate the senses!
Benefits of Sensory Play:
- Sensory play helps with brain development and has been shown to build nerve connections!
- When children are participating in sensory play, their language skills are enhanced!
- Sensory play activities strengthen fine motor skills and help improve hand eye coordination.
- Sensory activities can be a great way for kids to relax and relieve stress.
How Can I Incorporate More Sensory Play?
DIY sensory bins and bottles are super easy to make and require just a few simple, inexpensive materials!
Sensory bottles are not quite as messy as sensory bins, and still offer wonderful benefits! Bottles are perfect for little hands to hold and squeeze!
To create a sensory bottle you need a bottle, liquid, and filler.
The liquid needs to be a combination of water and a thicker liquid such as glue (clear or glitter bottles work well!), corn syrup, hair gel, or baby oil. Fillers for your bottle can be any craft materials, beads, glitter, or other small objects.
Simply fill your bottle with the filler and liquid, seal it, and you have an easy DIY sensory activity that your kids will love!
How To Make A Snowman Sensory Bottles:
- 1 clear plastic bottle (an empty water bottle works well!)
- About two tablespoons of white glitter
- 10-20 small white pom poms
- Baby Oil
- Orange Paint Pen
- Black Paint Pen
- Plaid piece of fabric for scarf
First you will want to create the face on the plastic bottle for your sensory bottle snowman.
Use the black paint pen to draw the eyes, mouth, and buttons. Use the orange pen to draw a carrot nose.
Fill the bottom of the bottle with glitter and pom poms.
Fill the bottle half way with baby oil and top the other half off with water.
Use hot glue to secure the lid on the top of the bottle.
Secure the plaid fabric for the scarf around the snowman’s neck using glue.
Gently shake your bottle back and forth to mix the contents. Don’t worry if the glitter settles, just shake it up again!
More Easy Sensory Bottle Ideas:
- Add alphabet letters into a sensory bottle for a fun literacy activity!
- Create an animal themed sensory bottle like this adorable turtle one!
- Use glitter glue and water as the base for your sensory bottle.
- Try adding different fillers such as water beads, sequin, plastic beads, or legos!
- Make your sensory bottle glow in the dark using glow in the dark glue or glitter!
- Create a fun calm down jar like this snowman themed one!
- Try this glitter sensory bottle DIY activity for New Year’s Eve!
Planning for a Winter Theme? We’ve done all the work for you!
We now have interactive thematic lesson plans for toddlers (18-35 months) AND preschoolers (3-5 years)! Get ready for fun and learning with unit lesson plans for your WINTER THEME. Explore a variety of themed hands-on activities! Easy to follow lesson plans include activity modifications and adaptations to meet the needs of all learners. For more information, click on the graphics below: