Is finding Christmas ornaments for preschoolers to make on your holiday to do list? If so, look no further! I love finding simple and easy crafts, and I love sharing them with you even more! Easy fine motor preschool Christmas ornaments are a great way to get your little ones involved in creating Christmas decorations and add super cute handmade ornaments to your tree.
Creating handmade ornaments with children allows you to take at trip down memory lane every year. While we decorate the tree, my kids love talking about all of the different ornaments that we are hanging up and reminisce about when we made them or where we got them from!
What Are Fine Motor Skills?
Every time we use a pencil, zip up our jacket, or tie our shoes we have our fine motor skills to thank.
Fine motor skills are how the muscles in our hands, fingers, and wrists work together to complete tasks. They are developed and strengthened when we do activities that require us to use these muscles!
Examples of activities that are great for fine motor skills include manipulating play dough, building with small Lego and blocks, coloring with crayons, and any activity that uses the pincer grasp (picking up small items with the thumb and index finger).
Easy preschool Christmas craft activities are a great way to work on fine motor skills!
Christmas Themed Activities To Practice Fine Motor Skills:
Adding easy Christmas and holiday themed crafts for kids to your lesson plans or home learning is an awesome way to work on hand eye coordination and develop fine motor skills through playful learning!
- Mix up a batch of salt dough and create ornaments. The kneading of the dough and pressing of the cookie cutters are both excellent fine motor skill activities!
- Bake and decorate a gingerbread man! Mixing the dough and adding small candy details to the cookie will put little hand muscles to work.
- Preschool Christmas theme crafts like this candy cane ornament and construction paper Christmas tree are wonderful activities for fine motor skill development!
- Create hand made Christmas cards. Coloring, placing stickers, and writing letters all help to develop strong hand and finger muscles!
How To Create Easy Fine Motor Preschool Christmas Ornaments:
This preschool Christmas ornament craft is adorable and easy to make!
Take the top off of the clear plastic ornament and set it aside. Using the funnel to help you, pour the confetti into the ornament.
Tip: If you do not have a funnel at home, simply take a piece of card stock, shape it into a funnel, and secure it using tape!
Don’t worry if you get a little confetti on your table or floor- helping to clean it up is great for little fingers and strengthening fine motor skills!
Attach the top back onto the plastic ornament. Secure with glue.
Use the red, green, and white ribbon to tie a bow around the top of the ornament.
Display your new ornament on your tree!
Other Options For This Preschool Christmas Craft:
- Create your own filler using construction paper and a hole punch!
- Fill a clear round plastic ornament instead of a light shaped one.
- Use puffy paint or permanent marker to create a Christmas design or write the year on the ornament.
- String multiple filled ornaments together for an adorable Christmas garland to hang on your mantle or around your home.
Our Favorite Christmas Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Grumpy Monkey Oh, No! ChristmasHow to Catch a Gingerbread ManLittle Blue Truck’s ChristmasThe Jolly Christmas PostmanMadeline’s ChristmasPete the Cat’s 12 Groovy Days of ChristmasThe Giving Snowman: A Children’s Bedtime Story about GratitudeThe Nativity Story for Toddlers and Kids: The Christmas Book with Simplified Classic Bible Jesus’ Birth Story and Cute, Large Pictures (Christian Stories for Children)Don’t Push the Button! A Christmas Adventure: An Interactive Holiday Book For ToddlersHumphreys First ChristmasConstruction Site on Christmas Night: (Christmas Book for Kids, Children’s Book, Holiday Picture Book) (Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site)Jan Brett’s The NutcrackerPolar Express 30th Anniversary EditionThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans series Book 1)The Littlest Reindeer (Littlest Series)