Students will learn ordinal numbers through a fast-paced, fun game! This January Ordinal Numbers card game reviews ordinal numbers 1st-10th with a fun January/Winter Theme! The kids can look at objects in a line, dates on a calendar, numerals and words to learn what each of them means.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR THE ORDINAL NUMBERS CARD GAME – JANUARY THEME:
Card Stock or Scrapbook Paper | Laminating Pouches | Laminator
1 set of cards with four different formats:
You can choose any format of cards to be the CENTER pile, so that kids can get review on the portion that they struggle with the most. They can focus on formats that they are more familiar using.
Variation: You can start with only two formats until children are ready for the challenge of multiple formats. Simply make more copies of the format you want to use for the playing cards.
Instructions for the January Ordinal Numbers Card Game:
Choose one format of cards for CENTER pile.
Use the other formats of cards for PLAYING cards. (More copies will create a longer game.)
To play: 2-4 players
- Place the CENTER cards face down in a pile.
- Deal the PLAYING cards equally among players and place them face down in a pile in front of each player. -Decide the first player.
- Flip over one of the CENTER cards.
- In clockwise order, players flip one card at a time. When a PLAYING card is flipped that matches the CENTER card: SLAP-IT! (matches will be in many formats)
- The first player to slap the card takes the center pile of cards that have been played and adds them to the bottom of their own pile.
- Flip over another CENTER card and continue playing, this time matching the new card that has been flipped over.
- Game is finished when time is up or one player has all the PLAYING cards.
You can also use these cards for playing Memory. Choose two copies of each card (fewer cards for younger learners) and play like a traditional game of memory. Or put the cards in order according to their ordinal numbers or sort all of the different formats according to their ordinal number.