Build addition fact fluency with this fun “Slap-Jack” styled game with a cookie theme focusing on addition fact families. Students will race to slap equivalent addition facts and sums for addition facts 1-10.
This is a modified form of the old favorite “Slap Jack.” The difference is that there is a center pile in addition to the player piles. The card turned over in the center pile indicates what card you are looking to slap. Once you slap the coordinating card, you turn a new card and begin to search for a new card to slap.
For example: If a “5” is turned over in the center pile, as students go around the circle laying down playing cards, they could slap a 5, 4+1, 1+4, 2+3, 3+2, 5+0, 0+5 or any of those picture cards.
Materials needed for the Addition Fact Family Card Game:
The three formats included are:
- Numerical Addition Fact Family
- Picture Addition Fact Family
You can choose any format of cards to be the CENTER pile, so that kids can get review on the portion that they struggle with the most. They can focus on formats that they are more familiar using.
Variation: You can start with only two formats (such as the digits and pictures) until children are ready for the challenge of multiple formats. Simply make more copies of the format you want to use for the playing cards.
Instructions: Choose one format of cards for CENTER pile. Use the other formats of cards for PLAYING cards. (More copies will create a longer game.)
To play: 2-4 players
- Place the CENTER cards face down in a pile.
- Deal the PLAYING cards equally among players and place them face down in a pile in front of each player.
- Decide the first player.
- Flip over one of the CENTER cards.
- In clockwise order, players flip one card at a time. When a PLAYING card is flipped that matches the CENTER card: SLAP-IT! (matches will be in many formats)
- The first player to slap the card takes the center pile of cards that have been played and adds them to the bottom of their own pile.
- Flip over another CENTER card and continue playing, this time matching the new card that has been flipped over.
- Game is finished when time is up or one player has all the PLAYING cards.
Great partner or small group center for practicing addition fact families!! You can also use the picture and word cards as flash cards or for playing memory.