Any season or holiday is a great time to practice fine motor skills. They are such an important part of children’s development, and there are so many great activities out there to help your child work on them. Pom poms are the perfect craft material to use for color matching preschool activities and for working on fine motor skills.
These St. Patrick’s Day Fine Motor Preschool Color Matching Printables have adorable designs like a leprechaun beard, hat, and four leaf clover that will all make a great addition to any St. Patrick’s Day party.
This fine motor skills with pom poms activity is excellent color practice. Preschoolers will love matching the pom pom to the brightly colored circles on the pages.
What Are Fine Motor Skills?
Fine motor skills are the skills that allow us to use the small muscles of our hands and fingers.
When we strengthen our fine motor skills, we are able to perform small coordinated movements like picking up small objects, buttoning and zipping our clothes, and tying our shoes.
How To Practice Fine Motor Skills:
Strengthening fine motor skills can be easier than you think. You don’t need a big elaborate activity or complex task in order to practice!
Coloring color pages with crayons, playing match games that require picking up cards, and playing in sensory bins can all be fantastic ways to work on fine motor skills.
Fine motor activities with pom poms like this one are great for St. Patrick’s Day. Here are some other fun activities for toddlers to practice their fine motor skills:
- String beads onto a pipe cleaner (a beaded rainbow is a perfect craft for St. Patrick’s day!)
- Decorate a pot of gold and sprinkle on gold and rainbow colored glitter using the pincer grasp (thumb and index finger)
- Play a rainbow color sorting game or color matching activity for kids to practice colors and strengthen their fine motor skills.
How To Use This St. Patrick’s Day Fine Motor Activity For Preschoolers:
Another lucky thing about this activity is that it is super easy to prep! In less than five minutes you can have an awesome activity that can be used over and over again.
Print this pom pom fine motor activity onto white card stock and laminate it. Gather your colored pom poms and you are ready to go.
Little ones can use their fingers or tweezers to pick up the pom poms and match them to the color on the picture.
Saying the name of the color aloud as they place it on the mat is a great way to add a little extra practice with colors.
Add even more fine motor practice by hiding the pom poms in a sensory bin for the kids to find and match to their pom pom mat.
Grab some of these fine motor activities from the Life Over C’s blog shop:
Other Ways To Use This St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Printable:
- Practice counting! Count as you put the pom poms onto the mat, or add up the total, or how many of each color are on the mat when you are done filling it up with pom poms.
- If you don’t have pom poms, you can use another manipulative that comes in multiple colors, such as rainbow bears or unifix cubes, and place those onto the mat.
- Make small balls of colored play dough and match them to the colors on the mat.
- Use colorful circle stickers to match the colors on the pictures.
- Slip the mat into a clear plastic sleeve and use colored dry erase markers to trace the circles and color them in the correct color.
More St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Activities: