This is a fun game with great high energy “Slap-Jack”-style for reviewing numbers 0-20. The set is customizable to fit your and your student’s needs. Whether you have a student just learning numbers or your entire class is in need of reviewing, this set is sure to be a winner. This Numbers card game set is perfect for kindergarten small group settings or partner games for your kindergarten math centers.
Many teachers have sent me notes letting me know that our Slap It! card games keep their kids engaged and excited about learning! Their kindergarteners love the slap card games so much that they beg to play even after centers and small groups are finished.
What do I need for the Numbers Slap It! Card Games?
- Card Stock or Scrapbook Paper
- Laminating Pouches
These number Slap It! Card Games are excellent for partner math centers and math small groups.
Included in this card game are numeral, word, ten frame, picture and tally mark cards for every number 0-20.
Ideas for customizing your Numbers Slap Card Game:
- Review for numbers 0-9 or 10 to start. Add other numbers to your Slap It! card game as they are learned.
- Print only two card formats as you introduce the game to your kindergarteners. Print one copy of one format and several copies of the other format. For example, use the number cards as your center pile. Print 3 copies of the word cards to focus on word recognition.
- Choose any set as your center pile. The best would be the style that the one with which the student is having most difficulty. Helping them to focus on finding formats that they have an easier time recognizing.
- As the students become more proficient, you can include all the different sets.
How do I prepare the Numbers Slap It! Card Game?
Print on card stock and/or laminate the cards. (Card stock or scrapbook paper is recommended because some children will try to see through the cards.)
I recommend a set of 40-44 of the “Playing” cards for more thorough review. More copies will create a longer game. Less cards will create a shorter game for beginners. Each type of cards is a different style for easy sorting.
How To Play the Slap It! Numbers 0-20 Card Game for Kindergarten:
- Place the CENTER number cards face down in a pile.
- Deal the PLAYING number cards equally among players.
- Place them face down in a pile in front of each player.
- Decide the first player.
- Flip over one of the CENTER cards.
- In clockwise order players flip one card at a time.
- When a PLAYING card is flipped that matches the CENTER card: SLAP-IT!
- The first player to slap the card takes the center pile of cards that have been played and adds them to the bottom of their own pile.
- Flip another CENTER card and continue playing. Game is finished when time is up or one player has all the PLAYING cards.
What Learning Goals Does Slap It! Numbers 0-20 Card Game Meet?
Kindergarteners will learn to count to 20 by ones in a variety of ways:
- Number Words
- Tally Marks
Students will also build the understanding that a 6=6 no matter what format the number appears in. So six dots on a dice equals the written number word ‘six’.
Get Slap It! Numbers 0-20 Here:
More ways to work on Number Recognition:
Use these play dough ten-frame mats to extend children’s understanding one to one correspondence while engaging them in a fine-motor sensory experience.