Have you ever done a mentos and soda science experiment before?? If you have, then you know how amazing it is! If you have not, then you MUST try it! Just imagine a mini volcanic eruption of bubbles and… well I don’t want to give too much away! Let’s just say, this Rainbow Soda and Mentos Science Project for Kids will captivate the attention of every kid in your family (including the adults who are kids at heart!)!
Told a Chemistry Joke – No Reaction – Funny Science ShirtYou’re Overreacting | Chemistry Humor, Funny Science Teacher Pun Unisex T-Shirt-(Adult,L) Navy BlueNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Stunning Chemistry Set – Mega Science Kit with Over 15 Easy Experiments, Make a Volcano, Launch a Rocket, Create Fizzy Reactions, and More, Great STEM Gift for Boys and GirlsBasher Science: Chemistry: Getting a Big ReactionPlayz STEM A+ Kids Chemistry Junior Experiments & Reactions Science Lab Kit – 32+ Experiments, 36 Page Laboratory Guide, and 27+ Tools & Ingredients for Boys, Girls, Teenagers, & Kids
Why Should Kids Do Science Experiments?
Rainbow science experiments for preschoolers (really all science for kids of all ages) have so many benefits!
- Experiments help kids spark curiosity! After watching a science experiment kids are left with lots of questions and wanting to know more!
- Performing science experiments can have cross curricular benefits! Students can learn math and reading skills during the experimentation process!
- Science experiments help kids understand and observe cause and effect relationships!
- Making predictions is another reading comprehension strategy that can be taught through science experiments! What do you think will happen when we drop the mentos into the soda? Why do you think that this will happen?
How To Do This Rainbow Science Experiment For Kids:
- 5 bottles of Fanta soda (you will want 2 liter bottles and 5 different flavors/colors)
- 5 sleeves of mentos candy
- 1 1/4 cup clear dish washing liquid
- 1 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup baking soda
- 10 plastic party cups
- food coloring (optional- but will enhance the colors if you use it!)
- smart phone or video camera (also optional- but if you want to be able to replay the experiment this can be beneficial!)
A few important notes before you begin this rainbow themed experiment!
- The measurements of the dish washing liquid, vinegar, and baking soda are approximate! You may want to adjust them depending on the desired outcome of your experiment!
- If you want to be able to replay and analyze the experiment after it has been performed, you will want to have your smart phone or a video camera set up and ready to go!
- Set this experiment up on a level surface so the bottles do not tip over!
Place five party cups onto the level surface. Unwrap the mentos candies and put them into the cups (one sleeve of candies per cup!).
Put 1/4 cup of baking soda into each cup on top of the candies.
Pour equal amounts of Fanta into 5 new party cups. Each color gets a different cup!
Add 1/4 cup of dish washing liquid and 1/4 cup of vinegar to each Fanta cup. If you want the colors to be more vibrant, add food coloring that matches the color of the Fanta to each cup.
Drop the candies into the Fanta and watch what happens! (For the rainbow effect you will need to drop the candies simultaneously into the cups! This will require multiple people dropping the candies in at the same time!)
Other ideas for this rainbow science project for kindergarten and preschoolers!
- Recreate your own mentos and soda science fair project designed by your kids! Use your own choice of sodas or slightly alter amounts of the ingredients to see what happens!
- Create your own questions for the experiment and observe what happens! If I use different bottles of soda, like diet coke, will there be a different effect? Is there something that causes more bubbles to form?
- Research the results of the experiment! What type of chemical reaction took place? How did carbon dioxide bubbles get produced?
- Do some color exploration with color mixing! What happens if we mix the red and blue soda pop?
Our Favorite S.T.E.M. Books:
We can’t live without these!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ada Twist, Scientist (The Questioneers)Rosie Revere, Engineer (The Questioneers)What Can I Be? STEM Careers from A to ZAwesome Science Experiments for Kids: 100+ Fun STEM / STEAM Projects and Why They Work (Awesome STEAM Activities for Kids)STEM Starters for Kids Science Activity Book: Packed with Activities and Science FactsReal Engineering Experiments: 25+ Exciting STEAM Activities for Kids (Real Science)STEAM Kids: 50+ Science / Technology / Engineering / Art / Math Hands-On Projects for KidsAwesome Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids: 50 STEAM Projects You Can Eat! (Awesome STEAM Activities for Kids)Kid Engineers (Stem Books For Kids)Awesome Physics Experiments for Kids: 40 Fun Science Projects and Why They Work (Awesome STEAM Activities for Kids)
We now have interactive thematic lesson plans for preschoolers (3-5 years)! Get ready for fun and learning with unit lesson plans for your Color theme. Explore a variety of themed hands-on activities! Easy to follow lesson plans include activity modifications and adaptations to meet the needs of all learners. For more information, click on the graphics below: