Whether your students are currently raising fish or not, the Pet Fish Alphabet Uppercase and Lowercase Matching Game for preschoolers appeals to young learners! This hands-on letter matching game allows children to practice identifying letter names and sounds while matching upper and lowercase letters! And, if you ask me, memory games are quite beneficial for adult brains as well! Download this alphabet matching free printable today!
Pet fish are often the childhood gateway pet, if you will. We start with a low-maintenance animal, allowing our children to “prove” themselves as responsible caregivers. From there, we branch off into guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, chickens, and beyond! We’re currently on our second betta (Phil), while the first (Steve) is never forgotten during nightly prayers… may he and all the others rest in peace!
Alphabet Games for Preschoolers
Alphabet activities, letter identification, and letter learning are integral pieces of early childhood education. These understandings form the foundation for learning to read and write.
Teach letter sounds with a variety of themed games and activities, saving letter worksheets and matching worksheets as the exception rather than the rule.
This alphabet matching game for preschool does a great job of blurring the line between learning and playing! This is what we want! Challenge your students to see how many matches they can find. Adapt the game to include as many or as few letter pairs as each child is ready for.
How to Use the Fish Alphabet Printable
The alphabet fish printable is easy to prep! Just print the alphabet matching cards, then cut them apart and laminate for durability.
How to Create the Alphabet Letter Matching Game:
- Print the pages on the white side of the scrapbook paper.
- Cut the free printable alphabet flashcards.
- Laminate and cut again into squares.
*Laminating is optional. You can save time by laminating the whole sheet and then cutting into squares. However, I have found that the edges tend to peel apart easier this way. If you want this alphabet matching game printable free from wear and tear, you might take time now to prepare it with longevity in mind.
And is it just me, or does this activity BEG to be paired with those yummy, goldfish crackers?!
You can grab our Goldfish cracker counting cards here to coordinate with the alphabet matching game.
More Hands-On Alphabet Kids Learning Activities
Whether you’re using flash cards or other free printable upper/lower case letter cards, a little creativity can ensure hands-on, active learning.
- Scavenger hunt-hide letters (both upper and lowercase) around the room, playground, gym, etc. Time students to run around and find as many matches as possible. Use plastic letters, foam letters, or the alphabet matching cards printable.
- Guess the letter game-this game can be varied in a lot of different ways! “Air draw” a letter and have students guess what it is or have students draw a card from the alphabet matching printable and then draw it on someone’s back.
- Run, draw, run, match! Separate letters into uppercase/lowercase piles. Place one set of alphabet matching game printables in a stack at one end of a large, open space. Spread the other set out on the floor at the other end. Students will start on one end of the room. On, “Go!” they will run/hop/skip/tiptoe/lunge to the other side, grab a letter from the letter stack, and run back to find its match.
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!