Let’s be honest, art with preschool can be a hot mess! Whether you’re cutting, gluing, watercolor painting, glittering, or building with popsicle sticks, the chances are high that supplies and materials will land EVERYWHERE. LOL! That’s what makes process art projects a beautiful thing! It’s about the PROCESS, not the RESULTS. Kids inherently know and believe this, now it’s time for parents, caregivers, and preschool teachers to get on board!
Crafts for kids offer so many benefits, from fine motor development to improved creativity and problem solving. Process art activities, like the 4th of July Bouncy Ball Process Art for Preschoolers, takes those skills to the next level because there is no “right” or “wrong” outcome. Have some fun with this patriotic craft! It requires paint, bouncy balls, and metal trays. And, guess what?! This easy craft isn’t even actually that messy!
Fourth of July Lesson Plans for Preschool
Let’s celebrate Independence Day in preschool with a variety of fun, hands-on activities that teach about this important holiday.
4th of July activities for preschoolers can encompass a wide array of learning opportunities. Begin with a brief history of the holiday. Why do we celebrate in the first place? Who is Uncle Sam?
Take a closer look at the American flag. How many stars and stripes? Why? Our flag is red, white, and blue. What does each color represent?
Once it’s clear that we don’t just honor the day because we like picnics and fireworks, it’s time to bring it to life with 4th of July art projects for preschoolers and other meaningful activities.
- Make simple party favors
- Sing traditional patriotic songs
- Make fireworks in a jar with star confetti, water, food coloring, and oil
- Play “capture the flag”
- Read stories about Independence Day
How to Create 4th of July Bouncy Ball Art
While bouncy ball painting might sound a little messy, I can assure you it’s really not because the mess gets contained within the pan! And, remember, this fourth of July craft for preschooler is PERFECT for the outdoors!
- 9×13 metal cake pan
- 8.5×11 white paper (or cardstock)
- Washable paint
- Bouncy balls
- Optional: glitter or confetti
Crayola Artista II Washable Liquid Tempera Paint, Set of 12, 16oz , Assorted Colors (54-8216)KISEER 50 Pieces Assorted Colorful Mixed Pattern Cute Bouncy Balls Bulk Set for Kids Toy Playtime, Party Favors, Prizes, Birthdays Gift (28 mm)
- Place the sheet of paper inside the cake pan.
- Pour about a quarter size amount of paint onto the paper. Repeat this step with each color desired.
- Add the optional glitter or confetti.
- Place the bouncy balls inside the pan.
- Carefully lift the cake pan and tilt the pan around. Tilt the pan in any direction to get the desired paint effect.
The bouncy ball(s) will move around inside the cake pan, creating tracks of paint that form a cool design!
Add additional paint or glitter/confetti if necessary to create more patterns.
Note: For 4th of July crafts to save and display, use less paint and set the art
piece aside to dry.
Process art is about the process, rather than the ‘product’ of having a picture to display. The paper and confetti/glitter can be discarded shortly after the activity is complete when using more paint.
American Flag Crafts for Preschool
Paper plates go a loooooong way on patriotic holidays (Memorial Day too)! There are a number of fun, easy flag projects to consider:
- Cut plates in half, then create stars on the top by painting over star templates with blue paint. Remove the template, and voila, you have stars! Attach red and white confetti to the bottom edge.
- Create a paper plate flag “wreath” by cutting out the circular center and attaching red, white, and blue stars around the perimeter.
- Develop dexterity by punching holes along the edges of a paper plate and weaving red and white yarn from side to side to create flag, then attach the blue-backed stars on top of the yarn weave.
- Paint a flag on the plate with red stripes and a blue rectangle in the upper quadrant. Add foil stars, confetti, or other star stickers.
The Night Before the Fourth of July4th Of July Unicorn American Flag Patriotic Gift T-ShirtThe Berenstain Bears God Bless Our Country (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights: A Faith Story)JOINBO 100 Pcs 4th of July Stickers for Kids & Adults for Laptop Water Bottle Envelopes Crafts Scrapbooking,Cute Vinyl Waterproof Stickers for Independence Day Accessories DecorationsCountry Quest – Kids World Knowledge Card GamePatriotic Bingo Game 24 Players for Kids 4th of July Classroom Party Supply