We love a great farm animal theme. The fuzzy little calves, noisy quacking ducks, and runaway chickens make a farmers life very busy. Farm animals are typically the first animals that kids learn and making the sounds is one of the cutest things young kids do!
All of these farm animal themed snacks are the perfect addition to your preschool activities. And some of them are preschool farm themed activities disguised as snacks! (Can it get any better than that?)
Learning About The Farm:
Farm ANIMAL ACTIVITIES FOR PRESCHOOLERS
ASKING STUDENTS TO LEARN ABOUT THE FARM SHOWS CHILDREN WHERE FOOD AND OTHER PRODUCTS FROM. STUDENTS CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS LIKE:
- Where does milk come from before it comes to the store?
- What kinds of meat can we get from farm animals?
- How do farmers grow our fruits and vegetables?
- What do farm animals need to survive?
When making (and eating) the farm animal snack ideas, kids are learning important characteristics of a farmers job and where our food, clothing, and other products come from.
Any farm animal theme in preschool would benefit from the many skills that can be used while cooking and following directions. We also have some adorable farm animal crafts for preschool that would go perfectly with the themed snacks.
Along with making farm themed snacks, try making farm animal puppets. A sheep craft, chick craft, and a horse craft can be used in dramatic play after reading the book, Click Clack Moo Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin.
What Can Preschoolers Learn When Cooking?
farm animals preschool activities and crafts
WHEN CHILDREN COOK AND BAKE WITH ADULTS THEY ARE USING MANY SKILLS TO REACH THEIR GOAL. STUDENTS CAN COMPLETE TASKS USING FARM MATH ACTIVITIES FOR PRESCHOOLERS LIKE:
- Fine motor skills
- Following directions
- Problem solving
- Taking turns
Why Is It Important For Kids To Help Cook?
Besides the fact that kids love snacks, there are so many other reasons you should cook with your child.
Children will use measurement skills when cooking and baking with an adult. Measuring cups and spoons are a great way to show the amount of each ingredient.
Fine Motor Skills
Stirring, cutting (with a plastic knife), scooping, and decorating are a great way to practice fine motor skills while baking and cooking. Does it get messy? Absolutely! But your kiddo wont remember the mess, only the fun they had with you.
Higher Order Thinking Skills
Cooking with a child involves lots of instructions and lots of questions. Instead of always giving your child the answer, see if they can brainstorm and reason to figure out the answers. Why does the batter turn to a solid in the oven or why we used sugar instead of salt.
How To Make The Farm Animal Snacks
How to Use the Activity
- We might tell our kids not to play with their food, but when it comes to cute farm activities like this farm animal counting game it’s a must! We love this farm animal cracker counting game! It’s a great way to combine preschool farm math activities with snack time.
- If you have kids who love pigs too, this Pig Rice Cake is is a super cute and semi-healthy farm snack for preschoolers.
- If you want a quick farm themed snack that you can prep ahead of time and the kids can serve independently, this Popcorn Corn on the Cob snack and craft is perfect for that!
- Graham crackers are a yummy treat, even for toddlers. These Sheep Graham Crackers are fun! This chicken popcorn bag is also super cute!
- Sometimes we have to make veggies look more exciting than they already are, especially for kids. I am in love with this Farmers’ Market Veggies idea!
Chocolate covered pretzels are fun to decorate and super easy to make. Kids will love making these Pretzel Stick Farm Animals.
- Do you need a sweet treat? These Marshmallow Chicks are beyond adorable and if you like marshmallows, they will be delicious!
- If you are a cupcake type of person, these Sheep cupcakes are where it’s at. They look delicious!
- Every farm needs hay, and rice krispies are the perfect way. These Rice Krispie Hay Bales need to be on your farm!
- Try out this adorable recipe for a Kix cereal birdie!
- Thankfully theses yummy treats don’t smell anything like the real farm animal. Follow the recipe to make a Pig Cupcake.
- I cant even describe how cute these horses. You will have to click on the No Bake Horse Cookies to find out.
The Horizons Organic Farm animal crackers are so adorable. (Wouldn’t they be fun to use as cows jumping over the moon too???? hmm…. inspiration is
View this post on Instagram
Please tell me that I am not the only one who uses toys and educational activities to get my child to sit at the table long enough to actually eat 😜🤣 Honestly though, this was a great alternative to having her watch Netflix while she eats and her mood was a lot better when we needed to transition and head to school. You can grab the farm animal pattern mats that we used here: https://lifeovercs.com/free-printable-farm-animal-pattern-block-mats/ #momwin #iteachtoo #teachersofinstagram #teach #teacherlife🍎 #homeschool #preschoolactivities #preschool #prekteacher #prek #specialeducation #occupationaltherapy #occupationaltherapist #finemotor #finemotorskills #finemotorskill
Our Favorite Farm Animal Books For Preschoolers:
We can’t live without these books on farm animals for preschoolers!
Once your child’s creativity is sparked with this fun activity, take it a step further with these engaging resources:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure (A Click Clack Book)The Artist Who Painted a Blue HorseFarming (New & Updated Edition)I’ll Love You Till the Cows Come HomeNight Night Farm (Night Night Books)Counting Animals on the Farm: Counting book for kids, Learn numbers from 1 to10, Counting AnimalsGoodnight Tractor: A Goodnight Baby Book for Fans of Farming and the Construction Site! (Goodnight Series)Little Blue TruckEl camioncito Azul: Little Blue Truck (Spanish edition)If You Give a Pig a PancakeLet’s Hatch Chicks!: Explore the Wonderful World of Chickens and EggsMelissa & Doug K’s Kids – On The FarmNational Geographic Kids On the Farm Sticker Activity Book: Over 1,000 Stickers! (NG Sticker Activity Books)World of Eric Carle, Around the Farm 30-Button Animal Sound Book – Great for First Words – PI KidsFarm Friends Lift-a-Flap Board Book (John Deere Kids)