It always makes me smile just to see the first butterfly of the season. I don’t know why, but it just feels slightly lucky or magical when those colorful wings flutter by! As you learn about bugs this spring, or maybe you’re just planning to enjoy warm weather outdoors, you must make this butterfly snack craft! Your kids will love it because it’s super cute and delicious all wrapped up!
The butterfly themed snacks can be filled with whatever “stuffer” you have: fresh fruit, pretzel sticks, peanut butter cereal, marshmallows, raisins, etc. The butterfly snacks for preschoolers are engaging and fun to make and provide a kid-friendly snack when they get hungry. Perhaps after chasing those colorful wings with nets! (and setting them free, of course)
Preschool Snack Ideas
how to make butterfly snack bags with pipe cleaners AT SNACK TIME
BUTTERFLY SHAPED SNACKS ARE JUST ONE WAY TO KEEP STUDENTS’ MINDS ON LEARNING EVEN WHILE THEY ENJOY A YUMMY SNACK.
A butterfly or insect theme in preschool is a great way to create hands-on learning for students. Pairing a snack with any theme throughout the year is a wonderful way to incorporate art and eating, while also reviewing themed vocabulary or other skills.
I love adding in a specialty themed “snacktivity” whenever possible. Everyone always wants to know what the daily snack is going to be! Walking through the steps to make the snack bag butterflies is part of the fun.
While making the preschool butterfly snack idea, you can chat about symmetry, the life cycle of a butterfly, what they need to eat, or the parts of the butterfly.
I like to make the butterfly food idea an hour or so before snack time so students can enjoy them a while before they end up in tummies. Display them on a baking sheet while students wait for snack time.
Creating the step-by-step craft requires listening and following directions. It’s a great time to talk about the real parts of a butterfly and the duplicates of some of those parts with craft supplies:
- What color do you want your butterfly’s wings to be?
- Is the shape of your snack butterfly’s wings similar to a real butterfly?
- Can you find the part of your snack that would be the butterfly’s head? Antennae?
- Does a real butterfly have parts that your snack doesn’t have? (legs, eyes)
What Can Preschoolers Learn While Making Snack Crafts?
PAIRING SNACKS AND CRAFTS
MAKING THE BUTTERFLY SNACKS WITH PRETZELS AND CEREAL REQUIRES GOOD LISTENING SKILLS. OPPORTUNITIES LIKE THIS GAIN HIGH INTEREST BECAUSE EVERYONE LOVES A YUMMY TREAT!
- Do you know how to make a butterfly snack bag?
- What did you do first? Next? Then?
- Does your butterfly snack look like a real butterfly?
- Point to the butterfly’s antennae/wings/body.
Why Is It Important For Kids To Make Edible Crafts?
It’s a no brainer that kids love snacks, but they also love craft projects. Pairing them together is win-win and provides unseen benefits related to child development.
Butterfly Snack Bags Instructions
How to Make the Preschool Snack
Supplies for the Butterfly Snack Bags:
- Snack Bags
- Pipe Cleaners (chenille stems)
- Snacks (fruit cereal, goldfish, cheerios, pretzels)
Directions for Making the Spring Butterfly Snack:
- Place snacks in each snack bag. Do not overfill. Release as much air from the bag as possible and seal the bag.
- Divide the snacks in the middle (this is where the pipe cleaner will wrap around the bag.) Fold the seal of the bag over towards the back to hide it.
- Wrap a pipe cleaner around the center of the bag. Twist the pipe cleaner at the top a few times. Then, use your finger or a pencil to create the antennae for the butterfly by twisting it around.
- Repeat this process for the desired amount of snacks and butterflies you will need.
- Display your butterflies and then serve!
NOTE: Add googly eyes to the pipe cleaner if desired.
Make a healthy, no added sugar treat. Give kids a piece of parchment paper, or wax paper, and different types of fruits or vegetables and challenge them to lay it out to look like a butterfly before eating.
Attach pretzel twists on each side of a section of banana for an instant butterfly pretzel! Add melted chocolate or white chocolate drizzle as desired.
Find even more engaging activities in the Life Over C’s shop!
Do you love this activity?
Pin it for later!